Bumble foot

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rabbit has bumble foot! Do any of you guys know what I can do, or some remedies?
If you mean what's commonly known as sore hocks, the first thing I'd recommend is to make sure the cage is scrupulously clean, and if it's a wire-bottomed cage, give the rabbit a resting board so he/she can get off the wire. I usually just use a smooth piece of wood. A rabbit with sore feet will spend a lot of time on it, so it will likely get soiled. Turn it over and/or replace it when that happens. You can buy plastic resting boards with slats in them that are supposed to let waste fall through, but I have found that they get soiled just as often as a wood board.

Usually when you give them the right conditions, they will heal on their own. I don't bother putting any ointment or bandages on them since they immediately set to work removing them. 😆 Be aware that they may never go back to normally-furred feet, but will often have permanent callouses. This is not usually a problem unless the rabbit stomps a lot and opens the callous up again.

While rough wire or flooring can precipitate sore hocks, especially in very heavy breeds, some rabbits and breeds are more prone to have problems with it than others; Rex and Mini Rex are two that are infamous for it. You can breed rexes that are not prone to it, but it takes pretty serious selective breeding to get there. Most breeders seem to just give their rabbits resting boards or solid floors. Our Mini Rex often had small callouses on their hind feet, but I never kept or bred any that developed actual sores.

Note that sore hocks in rabbits, while sometimes called bumblefoot, is not exactly the same as bumblefoot in chickens. In chickens, bumblefoot is a Staph infection, while in rabbits there may no infection at all, just an abrasion, though of course it can get infected if the rabbit isn't kept in a clean environment.

If you mean what's commonly known as sore hocks, the first thing I'd recommend is to make sure the cage is scrupulously clean, and if it's a wire-bottomed cage, give the rabbit a resting board so he/she can get off the wire. I usually just use a smooth piece of wood. A rabbit with sore feet will spend a lot of time on it, so it will likely get soiled. Turn it over and/or replace it when that happens. You can buy plastic resting boards with slats in them that are supposed to let waste fall through, but I have found that they get soiled just as often as a wood board.

Usually when you give them the right conditions, they will heal on their own. I don't bother putting any ointment or bandages on them since they immediately set to work removing them. 😆 Be aware that they may never go back to normally-furred feet, but will often have permanent callouses. This is not usually a problem unless the rabbit stomps a lot and opens the callous up again.

While rough wire or flooring can precipitate sore hocks, especially in very heavy breeds, some rabbits and breeds are more prone to have problems with it than others; Rex and Mini Rex are two that are infamous for it. You can breed rexes that are not prone to it, but it takes pretty serious selective breeding to get there. Most breeders seem to just give their rabbits resting boards or solid floors. Our Mini Rex often had small callouses on their hind feet, but I never kept or bred any that developed actual sores.

Note that sore hocks in rabbits, while sometimes called bumblefoot, is not exactly the same as bumblefoot in chickens. In chickens, bumblefoot is a Staph infection, while in rabbits there may no infection at all, just an abrasion, though of course it can get infected if the rabbit isn't kept in a clean environment.
Okay! Thank you! I am putting a rabbit-safe bandage on it. Yes, it's sore hocks, I think she has been irritated by it, it's gotten worse over the past couple of days, and she has been messing with it a lot. At first I seen it and put her in her cage to heal, thinking it was maybe nothing. Then like two days later it gotten worst. She doesn't have a wire-bottomed cage. I have it to where there's a blanket, because it is winter here where I live. She's a Netherland dwarf, and rarely stomps. So does that mean her sore hock will heal better, probably without permanent callouses? Or... What do you think?

Also, her skin on her foot is getting pretty dry. I was thinking if I should put some coconut oil on her foot. Or maybe olive oil? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Okay! Thank you! I am putting a rabbit-safe bandage on it. Yes, it's sore hocks, I think she has been irritated by it, it's gotten worse over the past couple of days, and she has been messing with it a lot. At first I seen it and put her in her cage to heal, thinking it was maybe nothing. Then like two days later it gotten worst. She doesn't have a wire-bottomed cage. I have it to where there's a blanket, because it is winter here where I live. She's a Netherland dwarf, and rarely stomps. So does that mean her sore hock will heal better, probably without permanent callouses? Or... What do you think?
That's a little surprising to me, given that she's not a heavy rabbit and not on wire. Maybe she got hurt somehow, or maybe she's just terribly prone to the problem. Since I have no idea what caused it, I can't really hazard a guess about how well it will heal.

Does it look like it's infected? That would be pus, either oozing or in a pocket. If it's just dry and cracked, it's less likely to be an infection.

Neosporin ointment (not Neosporin Plus) is safe for rabbits and might help soothe it and prevent infections/further infection. Olive oil or coconut oil shouldn't hurt her, either. She'll probably lick it all off right away, but maybe it'll help while it lasts. :)

That's a little surprising to me, given that she's not a heavy rabbit and not on wire. Maybe she got hurt somehow, or maybe she's just terribly prone to the problem. Since I have no idea what caused it, I can't really hazard a guess about how well it will heal.

Does it look like it's infected? That would be pus, either oozing or in a pocket. If it's just dry and cracked, it's less likely to be an infection.

Neosporin ointment (not Neosporin Plus) is safe for rabbits and might help soothe it and prevent infections/further infection. Olive oil or coconut oil shouldn't hurt her, either. She'll probably lick it all off right away, but maybe it'll help while it lasts. :)
Alright, do you think if I put any of those ointments in her foot, could I still put the bandage on her foot too? If so what kind? I'll go to the store and get a good pet safe bandage, I watched some YouTube videos on how to treat sore hocks on rabbits. I am not able to take her to the vet. But I think anything that could work, I'll try and get it at the store. It isn't infected, it's pretty much just dry and a bit cracked-
I think that's interesting also, because she has a soft-bottomed cage, but it might be because she likes to play in my garage... She's not always in there, but yeah :)

If there is no wire, probably she will heal, as long as you keep her cage perfectly clean--spend a few minutes each day cleaning up any droppings or puddles, and her litter box if she uses one.

Bandages are really hard to keep on a rabbit and they often do more harm than good. Unless you put her in a cone (which will stress her out no end and be pretty dangerous since most of them are built for cats not rabbits) she will likely chew it off in minutes, but if she doesn't, it might be just a trap for bacteria and dirt. I would stick to keeping her clean and dry by keeping her environment clean and dry. Rabbits are VERY good at healing up small wounds.

If you can, post a clear picture of the wound and we can offer better advice

If there is no wire, probably she will heal, as long as you keep her cage perfectly clean--spend a few minutes each day cleaning up any droppings or puddles, and her litter box if she uses one.

Bandages are really hard to keep on a rabbit and they often do more harm than good. Unless you put her in a cone (which will stress her out no end and be pretty dangerous since most of them are built for cats not rabbits) she will likely chew it off in minutes, but if she doesn't, it might be just a trap for bacteria and dirt. I would stick to keeping her clean and dry by keeping her environment clean and dry. Rabbits are VERY good at healing up small wounds.

If you can, post a clear picture of the wound and we can offer better advice
Okay! I will see about the cone, that's actually a pretty good idea. Because she messes with it so much! If I got her the cone, will I still be able to put the bandage on just in case with it? Also I'm on my computer right now. My photo - Date (18).jpgThis might be the clearest it'll get, I'm sorry it's not very clear.. 😭

Okay! I will see about the cone, that's actually a pretty good idea. Because she messes with it so much! If I got her the cone, will I still be able to put the bandage on just in case with it? Also I'm on my computer right now. This might be the clearest it'll get, I'm sorry it's not very clear.. 😭
I don't think @eco2pia was suggesting using a cone - that might do more damage than good.

That foot doesn't look too bad; I'd suspect an injury since it's only the one foot. I'd go with the advice to keep everything very clean and especially dry, and let the bunny take care of it herself. That's probably what she's doing when she's messing with it; I wouldn't prevent her from doing so.

I don't think @eco2pia was suggesting using a cone - that might do more damage than good.

That foot doesn't look too bad; I'd suspect an injury since it's only the one foot. I'd go with the advice to keep everything very clean and especially dry, and let the bunny take care of it herself. That's probably what she's doing when she's messing with it; I wouldn't prevent her from doing so.
Okay, I just don't want it to get any worst. When it first happened I gave her a couple nights to see what'll happen, and it seemed like it had gotten worse... I also think while she has been messing with it, she has been pulling some of her fur out too. Why do you think the cone will do more damage? I thought that'll keep her from messing with it, and irritating her foot more than it probably already is... Also yeah it doesn't look as bad; but I want to prevent it from getting any worse. Also she has been licking and itching all over her fur, I don't know if she has mites! But hopefully she doesn't. Could mites cause Sore Hocks? Or...?

Okay, I just don't want it to get any worst. When it first happened I gave her a couple nights to see what'll happen, and it seemed like it had gotten worse... I also think while she has been messing with it, she has been pulling some of her fur out too. Why do you think the cone will do more damage? I thought that'll keep her from messing with it, and irritating her foot more than it probably already is... Also yeah it doesn't look as bad; but I want to prevent it from getting any worse. Also she has been licking and itching all over her fur, I don't know if she has mites! But hopefully she doesn't. Could mites cause Sore Hocks? Or...?
To be clear cones are designed for cats typically, and cats have longer front legs and a totally different posture. I do not reccomend cones OR bandages.

If you put a cone on her she would be likely to:
  • panic, potentially causing more injury
  • choke herself by running it into things
  • have difficulty eating and drinking, depending on how she usually accesses her food
Cones are best for post surgical use with a vet's assistance--they may even require sedation. I was NOT suggesting using one, I apologize for being unclear. I was saying that bandages are REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to put on a rabbit.

That is a very small cut. Leave her and it alone, and she will heal it herself. If she seems to be chewing it constantly you could try giving her more toys and attention to distract her, but she will be fine, and is just doing what she can to keep it clean. Help her by keeping her cage clean.

To be clear cones are designed for cats typically, and cats have longer front legs and a totally different posture. I do not reccomend cones OR bandages.

If you put a cone on her she would be likely to:
  • panic, potentially causing more injury
  • choke herself by running it into things
  • have difficulty eating and drinking, depending on how she usually accesses her food
Cones are best for post surgical use with a vet's assistance--they may even require sedation. I was NOT suggesting using one, I apologize for being unclear. I was saying that bandages are REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to put on a rabbit.

That is a very small cut. Leave her and it alone, and she will heal it herself. If she seems to be chewing it constantly you could try giving her more toys and attention to distract her, but she will be fine, and is just doing what she can to keep it clean. Help her by keeping her cage clean.
Alright, thank you. You definitely made that more clear. Are you saying if there are more and more missing patches of her fur on her foot, then... Just let it be? And allow her to continue doing what she has to do...? She has been acting like it hurt, Do you think her walking on it, messing with it, etc. would make it better? Also, I have seen some cone thingys designed for bunnies too lollllll.

As a general rule of thumb leave it alone. Hair grows back. Skin even grows back. Just watch it for signs of infection in the form of oozing pus, bad smells, dramatic huge swelling etc. I figure most of the time we just get in the rabbit's way with our "help".

Also, I have seen some cone thingys designed for bunnies too lollllll.
the only ones I have seen that might be safe look like soft padded collars...and I am not sure I think they would work well for a bunch of reasons, but if any one has used one maybe they can chime in.

As a general rule of thumb leave it alone. Hair grows back. Skin even grows back. Just watch it for signs of infection in the form of oozing pus, bad smells, dramatic huge swelling etc. I figure most of the time we just get in the rabbit's way with our "help".

the only ones I have seen that might be safe look like soft padded collars...and I am not sure I think they would work well for a bunch of reasons, but if any one has used one maybe they can chime in.
Thank you for the advice! I will try and leave her alone :)

Also she has been licking and itching all over her fur, I don't know if she has mites! But hopefully she doesn't. Could mites cause Sore Hocks? Or...?
In my experience, fur mites and/or mange mites can absolutely produce sore hocks in rabbits likely due to the amount of time they spend "dancing" and constantly moving their feet from the itching. We had a big, heavy Rex doe who came home from a show with them one time, and she not only developed sore hocks bilaterally but all the pads on her front feet became bald and reddish despite her resting mats/clean cage. When she started losing the fur going upward on her front feet/legs as well, which wasn't even in contact with the wire, we really became suspicious that it wasn't just a case of sore hocks related to her weight (she's over 10#). We treated her with the topical selamectin (for cats) which does external parasites on rabbits, and now she sits calmly and peacefully and is able to rest. (The vets at K-State had previously determined that in rabbits selamectin needs to be dosed at 15-20 mg/kg for an external parasite, so we bought the size for large cats, not the kitten one.) All of her feet are furry now which is good as she's a GC doe we bought to use as a brood doe from one of the top breeders in the country.

In my experience, fur mites and/or mange mites can absolutely produce sore hocks in rabbits likely due to the amount of time they spend "dancing" and constantly moving their feet from the itching. We had a big, heavy Rex doe who came home from a show with them one time, and she not only developed sore hocks bilaterally but all the pads on her front feet became bald and reddish despite her resting mats/clean cage. When she started losing the fur going upward on her front feet/legs as well, which wasn't even in contact with the wire, we really became suspicious that it wasn't just a case of sore hocks related to her weight (she's over 10#). We treated her with the topical selamectin (for cats) which does external parasites on rabbits, and now she sits calmly and peacefully and is able to rest. (The vets at K-State had previously determined that in rabbits selamectin needs to be dosed at 15-20 mg/kg for an external parasite, so we bought the size for large cats, not the kitten one.) All of her feet are furry now which is good as she's a GC doe we bought to use as a brood doe from one of the top breeders in the country.
Wowww, how long did it take to heal properly? I will definitely see about the selamectin stuff fs

Wowww, how long did it take to heal properly? I will definitely see about the selamectin stuff fs
Within a week, she had stopped itching, excessively grooming, and constantly fidgeting on her feet. I'd say roughly a week after that, the sores started improving dramatically. And by the time we were a month out, she had calm, healed, furry hocks again.

Within a week, she had stopped itching, excessively grooming, and constantly fidgeting on her feet. I'd say roughly a week after that, the sores started improving dramatically. And by the time we were a month out, she had calm, healed, furry hocks again.
Okay! That's actually not as bad as I thought😆
My rabbit's fur on her foots already growing back! As I left it alone!! Thanks so much guys🤍

Latest posts

Back