Building Cage Information needed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitPhotoGirl

Reaction score
I'm wanting to build my own cages rather than spend the 35 to 40 dollars on a 30x30x16 cage from the local (about hour drive) farm supply store, I'm needing some information on like what is needed for it as it's been over 20ish years since my parents built cages, I figure it's still pretty much the same aside from the prices but still want to know how others do it and what they recommend. I need to get some grow out cages and exercise/play pen which would probably be built first aside from the stands. I do have cats and chickens who will attempt to get on top of the cages (chickens more than cats).

The local farm stores I have around me are Rural King, Orscheln, & Charlie's. Then Lowe's and Home Depot are also available to me, if knowing this helps any for the second question.

• What type of wire to use?
  • Best place to get a good price on the wire?
  • Size of the grow out cages and normal cages?
  • How should the door open? In or Out? To the side or up or down if it is out?

Any other information would be appreciated. And I know this isn't a question about cages but what is the difference between a rabbitry and someone just raising rabbits for a hobby/little extra money to survive on?

Wire-
14 gauge or heavier for everything, floor being the most important. As for where to get them, only two online stores have flooring in good weight. You can get 14g wall and top wire from any store. Lowes would be on the cheaper side.
bassequipment.com
klubertanz.com

Size-
What size rabbits are they? No deeper[front to back] than 2ft, unless you have very long arms.
2x36in long for the smallest rabbit. 2x4ft for 9# rabbit.
For kits growing out, I have a 2x8ft hutch. But a 2x6ft would also be fine. If it's a small litter, 5-6 kits or less, then a 2x4 or 2x5ft would be fine.

Doors-
My doors open out and down. They are totally out of the way, use up zero space and the stay open on their own.

Rabbitry or Hobby-
Rabbitry may be more prone to keep with the breed standards, breed good qualities and try to improve the animals.
A Hobby will do things fairly willy nilly, no hard culls if needed, breed when $ is needed, etc.

Can't say it's true for all, but as long as it doesn't drop to Backyard Mill breeder, it's fine.

By the time you buy all the supplies and tools to make your own cages, you may well end up spending more than what you were quoted at the farm supply. Good wire, 14g GAW and in the proper sizes, will have to be shipped to you. Also, there is the time and effort involved. If it was me, and it has been, I would get them from the farm supply. I made my first set and after that, I have purchased from a place that is about 45min to an hour away. The cost is about the same, but I don't have to do all the work. JMO....

RabbitPhotoGirl":16uw48bt said:
What type of wire to use?
You'll want 14ga wire, galvanized after weld. 1"x2" for the sides and top, and 1/2"x1" for the floor.

Best place to get a good price on the wire?
As someone else said, you will probably have to have it shipped to you. The best price will probably whichever mailorder house is closest to you, because shipping will depend greatly on distance.

Size of the grow out cages and normal cages?
Can't tell you about growout cages, but normal cage size depends on the size of your rabbits. You'll want 30"x30"x18" or 30"x30"x24" for breeds such as Californian and New Zealand. In deciding how deep to make them, consider your arm length, and whether or not you'll have trouble reaching a reluctant bunny in the back of the cage.

How should the door open? In or Out? To the side or up or down if it is out?
Entirely a matter of personal preference. I happen to like having the hinge at the bottom, opening out. That way, they just hang down out of my way. I have one that opens up and out, and I find it annoying to have to fasten the door to keep it open. That cage is my only "store-bought" cage, and when I got it, it opened up and in. That was even worse.

Any other information would be appreciated.
If you're going to make your own cages, be sure to invest in a GOOD pair of j-clip pliers (and plenty of J-clips). I happen to like the ones I got from Bass. And wear work gloves, or your hands WILL be sore and maybe blistered by the time you're finished. Consider clipping and filing all cut wire edges instead of bending them down. We bent all of ours to start with, and now I'm sorry. We're now in the process of cutting all of them and filing them down. A Dremel tool with a metal file tip works really well for this. You can get door guards from Bass to help around door openings.

what is the difference between a rabbitry and someone just raising rabbits for a hobby/little extra money to survive on?
Nothing, except that rabbitries CAN be bigger, but aren't necessarily. A rabbitry is just a manmade place where rabbits live.

ChickiesnBunnies":2pkndr4f said:
What size rabbits are they? No deeper[front to back] than 2ft, unless you have very long arms.

It'd be for the litters to be in until I can get them sold as I got all my keep rabbits in cages, will want to replace them later after I get set up but still for now they are good.
Also it'd be for a normal Lop, Lionhead mix, to be in with their litters until they get put back in their normal cages and then just the litters would be left in the cages until separated.

OneAcreFarm":2pkndr4f said:
By the time you buy all the supplies and tools to make your own cages, you may well end up spending more than what you were quoted at the farm supply. Good wire, 14g GAW and in the proper sizes, will have to be shipped to you. Also, there is the time and effort involved. If it was me, and it has been, I would get them from the farm supply. I made my first set and after that, I have purchased from a place that is about 45min to an hour away. The cost is about the same, but I don't have to do all the work. JMO....

I'd rather build my cages since it'd give me a skill I can use and make it so that I have good cages to last a while, besides I like building things.
Tools aren't a problem, as my dad is a farm hand and has been on the farm basically his whole life, he has the tools that are needed for it. I just need the supplies for it.

trinityoaks":2pkndr4f said:
If you're going to make your own cages, be sure to invest in a GOOD pair of j-clip pliers (and plenty of J-clips). I happen to like the ones I got from Bass. And wear work gloves, or your hands WILL be sore and maybe blistered by the time you're finished. Consider clipping and filing all cut wire edges instead of bending them down. We bent all of ours to start with, and now I'm sorry. We're now in the process of cutting all of them and filing them down. You can get door guards from Bass to help around door openings.

Good pair of J-clip pliers would be the hardest for me to find, unless my dad happens to find the old pair he has. Since all that I can find are like the one I have already which needs more padding on the handle part for me to use without getting cramped hands.

I don't mind paying the shipping and waiting for it if the product is a good kind that will last, quality would be a better buy than something that won't last as long that is cheaper (although some of the cheap stuff lasts pretty good). The exercise/play pen would have chicken wire bottom as it wouldn't be moved with rabbits in it nor keep rabbits in it over night. In the summer I gotta worry about snakes and all the time coyotes, wild dogs, and neighbor dogs who'd probably enjoy a nice rabbit dinner before/while getting shot at.

Here's an idea. Try and find out when and where the next show will be close to you. I will tell you that a couple of really good equipment companies normally are at the local shows in your area, and one of them (Koenig Kountry Supplies) will be glad to hook you up with cage wire if you plan ahead for it. Just check the ARBA website under Member Services to find the next, nearest show to where you're at and the rest will take care of itself.

www.koenigskountrysupplies.com

Koenig's also maintains a list of shows they'll be at. They're also local to St. Louis, as they're right across the river in western Illinois, so going to a show may not even be necessary.

I like building my own cages so I can use odd sizes to make maximum use of the space I have available. If you use standard sized cages however, be aware that the cost of buying the precut cages is about the same as that of building your own. Shipping is a lot cheaper than the shipping on roll wire.

Latest posts

Back