Building a rabbit hutch!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given this one with a rabbit http://www.petco.com/product/113411/Tri ... osure.aspx
I would not pay that much for it, I find it's too small for what you need and the ramp is not held on very well I had to re attach it.

I like this one: http://www.petco.com/product/110106/WAR ... ithabitats I like mesh bottoms better though. The trays slide out but your buns will be sitting in pee until you clean it.

You could always post an add on kijiji/ craigslist and see if you can find a local carpenter to make you one. That would save you some money and you can have it built the way you want.

Have you thought about just making your own? The thing that disappoints me when I have looked at store bought ones are that the wood always seems flimsy to me. They look really nice but I wonder how predator proof they are, like could they stand up to an 80 lb dog jumping against them.

The big box stores will cut the wood for you so you just have to assemble it. As the Lowes building manager told me, a hutch is just 2 rectangles attached to legs. They won't cut angles though but if you make the front legs higher than the back legs then you have a slope for the roof.

I know the store bought ones look prettier than most homemade ones but the homemade ones probably last a lot longer and you can make it so it is comfortable for you. I am tall so I made our hutch higher than most because that is comfortable for me. Just a thought.

I would also check craigslist, in this area there are always hutches and cages for sale. There are even people who will make a hutch how you want it so it is sturdy, at the height, whatever you want and they are usually about the same price as store bought.

I was given a wooden hutch like those pictured, and Laura is right- it is very cheaply made, and I would not trust my rabbits in it. The other problem is that the trays are so shallow.

I would also recommend watching Craigslist or building your own. Even a standard wire cage would work well. I just cover mine with old feed bags if they are out in the open. All you need to do is block the wind and rain or snow, and they will stay plenty warm.

Here is a 3-cage bank that I made for my Jersey Woolys:

IMG_7801.JPG

TheLittleBunny10":xfj44m7w said:
has anyone had problems with chewing the hutch?
Only my male chews/scratches on his hutch. My does have never bothered with even trying. But my buck is a chewer.

I want a wire floored, but predator proof hutch<br /><br />__________ Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 am __________<br /><br />oh, and it would be for Oreo, who is missing a leg

thanks Glitter!

really cool links!

__________ Fri May 10, 2013 12:48 pm __________

well, we have built the floor!
there will be a little room that we will put hay in, Oreo is inthe picture for size comparisin.
the floor is about 4 ft. long and 2 1/2. wide, and it should last a LOT longer than a store bought one :)

Attachments

• OREOinUNFISHEDhutch.jpg
    OREOinUNFISHEDhutch.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 334
I bought 3 of the same ones being talked about above from Tractor Supply.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/w ... utch-large

I used them as a template to build my own, but used heavier construction. I also reversed and extended the roofs so they'd block more sun and protect the water bottles. The store bought ones make a good quickie home when you need several in a very short time.

Have fun building yours! :)

LB10 - it is always better to build your own ... it improves your skills, you can make it to suit your needs, and you get a major sense of accomplishment when done! :cheesysmile:

yeah :D<br /><br />__________ Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 am __________<br /><br />we should get some more work on the hutch done today

hehe :) I had ice cream,
we got 2 of the walls, but haven't put it on the floor, and now we are going for a walk on the beach :)

Latest posts

Back