Building a pedigree from scratch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
So I have a purebred mini Rex doe and a fully pedigreed mini Rex buck. My girlfriend also has a purebred mini Rex buck and doe both without pedigree.

We want to build a pedigree but wonder, is 2 and 2 enough variety in a pedigree? Should there be more new blood?

Well....

The pedigree is simply the family tree that belongs to an individual animal. Parents, Grandparents, and Great-Grandparents. It needs to show four generations in order to be complete. The pedigree documents what happened. It is a matter of fact.

How many different rabbits should show up in the family tree is a matter of practice / opinion. That can range from each of the rabbits being on the pedigree document only once, to a particular buck or doe showing up several times due to line breeding or maybe even in-breeding.

As I type, I'm thinking that maybe another way for you to look at it since only your buck has a full pedigree...

The pedigree document looks back at what happened. Your doe and your friends' rabbits won't have pedigree documents unless you make something up. Since you can't look back, you have to move forward and document as you go. Four generations from now, those rabbits will have a full pedigree.

In my opinion - if you plan it out - two bucks and two does and a little line breeding and you should do fine.

Thank you :)

I do realize that it's a document we're creating moving forward. I'm concerned there's not enough genetic variety in 4 rabbits over 3 generations even taking line breeding into consideration. <br /><br /> -- Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:55 pm -- <br /><br /> Another question, can one use a fully pedigreed 5 lb standard Rex who is way too small for a standard, when breeding mini Rex and creating a pedigree?

Tiny Buns":12shq4ds said:
Another question, can one use a fully pedigreed 5 lb standard Rex who is way too small for a standard, when breeding mini Rex and creating a pedigree?

No , not if you intend to pass them as pedigreed purebreds. Two different breeds .... basically you'll be creating Rex mutts.

You could create a pedigreed mutt .... but couldn't call it a purebred Rex or mini Rex , It just aint pure.

Ramjet":1ey2a06t said:
Tiny Buns":1ey2a06t said:
Another question, can one use a fully pedigreed 5 lb standard Rex who is way too small for a standard, when breeding mini Rex and creating a pedigree?

No , not if you intend to pass them as pedigreed purebreds. Two different breeds .... basically you'll be creating Rex mutts.

You could create a pedigreed mutt .... but couldn't call it a purebred Rex or mini Rex , It just aint pure.

I wouldn't have a problem with this so long as it meets the breed standard and breeds true to that standard.

All breeds, no matter what they are, have something else in the background. At some point you have to be able to call them pure bred. IMO when it breeds true you are at that point. I've seen some interesting experiments in dogs on this subject. If anyone is interested I can try to find them again.

alforddm":7p0nqrat said:
Ramjet":7p0nqrat said:
Tiny Buns":7p0nqrat said:

I wouldn't have a problem with this so long as it meets the breed standard and breeds true to that standard.

All breeds, no matter what they are, have something else in the background. At some point you have to be able to call them pure bred. IMO when it breeds true you are at that point. I've seen some interesting experiments in dogs on this subject. If anyone is interested I can try to find them again.

The potential for hidden genetic modifiers would remain for many generations .... Much longer than the 3gens most put on a pedigree. I just don't find it ethical ....

Then you have the issue of 3 separate genes being responsible for the rex fur .... for could be R1 and the other R2 or R3 .... then you don't even produce rex furred offspring.
That's fairly likely ....

But you run into the same problems with animals that have been pedigreed for many generations. I've had people asking me about black and tan pop outs in AKC breeds that aren't supposed to carry black and tan. AQHA registered horses have pop out appaloosa colored horses and frame after 60+ years (these aren't even recessives).

When they did a detailed DNA study of lipizzaner horses they found that many of the pedigrees didn't actually match the DNA. However these horses still meet the breed standard and perform correctly for the breed.

Getting all stuck up on breed purity is a pipe dream and is actually detrimental to a breed's health and development. The important thing should be breed standard. Your never going to be able to eliminate every bad characteristic but if you have 4 generations that meet the standard IMO that is purebred.

Just to clarify I'm not saying start with your meat mutt for your first generations but when you have an animal that meets the standard go forward with the pedigree and then your purebred.

Latest posts

Back