Buck with abscess in cheeck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakie83

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
What pains me is it's my favorite buck, I drove over an hour and a half to pick him up and raised him for the past 4 months and I don't usually get attached to my rabbits but every time I walked by his cage he would stand up and paw at the cage until I opened it and pet him. It even came down to where I would put him on the grass while I was picking grass for the rabbits and he would follow me around. He's a Continental Giant so they're hard to find, and he's Harlequin color. Luckily I have a harlequin Continental mix female which I bred with him a month ago before he had this abscess and she just had babies yesterday!!!!! Which I'm very happy about. I was able to get my hands on some Peng and syringes which it has to be injected inter muscularly... I did it for about a week with no change I finally was able to feel the side of his cheek and it goes halfway into his mouth and I noticed he only eats bread that I give him so it makes me feel bad cuz I know he's losing condition.. I was able to stick my finger in his mouth and the swollen part goes halfway into his mouth. I also noticed his front teeth were not aligned but there were not overgrown so I clipped the parts that were a little bit longer in the front but I have no clue what's going on in the teeth in the back since he won't let me check that far down. He lets me feel around the lump and push around the sides I'm guessing if it was the teeth he would flinch but he doesn't. I really want to Lance it myself but I don't want to cause them any pain, I would bring them to a vet but I know they would charge hundreds and hundreds of dollars and really he's my breeding buck, and I don't really want to spend that type of money. I'm so tempted to just Lance it myself and squish out what's in there but then I'm worried what if it's some kind of hard Mass but it's grown over a month so I'm guessing it's some kind of thick pus. And giving him the injections aren't doing anything so I stopped after a week. Has anybody ever dealt with this problem or lanced it themselves? I tried poking it with the tip of the needle after sterilizing it and taking it off of the syringe but nothing comes out cuz I think the hole is too small, I don't know if there's anything I can give him to kind of knock them out while I do it? Or should I just cull him... I've noticed his front teeth were not aligned a little over a month ago but there is no bulge on the side of his mouth until they moved him to a separate cage temporarily so I don't know if he was bit by a mouse or what!! I feel so guilty inside every time I see him and he wants me to pet him. Any suggestions!! ???

Thank u
Al

I don't know if there is something contagious going on cause I am new to rabbits. BUT, I did have a goat, that got an abscesson her cheek. I also lanced it and nothing came out. So I flushed it with a mixture of peroxide and sterile water. Then stuff came out. There was blood, but puss too. After I got it as clear as I could I flushed it with betodine.
3 days later it filled up again. Flushed it again. This time a pretty big splinter came out.
After that it oozed from the hole a few days then stopped. She is all good now. Been over 2 years.

If it were me and I noticed misaligned teeth I would cull. That is a highly heritable trait. The abscess may or may not be related to the teeth, but the teeth alone would make me cull. Sorry, but I would hate to concentrate that in my lines.

What pains me is it's my favorite buck, I drove over an hour and a half to pick him up and raised him for the past 4 months and I don't usually get attached to my rabbits but every time I walked by his cage he would stand up and paw at the cage until I opened it and pet him. It even came down to where I would put him on the grass while I was picking grass for the rabbits and he would follow me around. He's a Continental Giant so they're hard to find, and he's Harlequin color. Luckily I have a harlequin Continental mix female which I bred with him a month ago before he had this abscess and she just had babies yesterday!!!!! Which I'm very happy about. I was able to get my hands on some Peng and syringes which it has to be injected inter muscularly... I did it for about a week with no change I finally was able to feel the side of his cheek and it goes halfway into his mouth and I noticed he only eats bread that I give him so it makes me feel bad cuz I know he's losing condition.. I was able to stick my finger in his mouth and the swollen part goes halfway into his mouth. I also noticed his front teeth were not aligned but there were not overgrown so I clipped the parts that were a little bit longer in the front but I have no clue what's going on in the teeth in the back since he won't let me check that far down. He lets me feel around the lump and push around the sides I'm guessing if it was the teeth he would flinch but he doesn't. I really want to Lance it myself but I don't want to cause them any pain, I would bring them to a vet but I know they would charge hundreds and hundreds of dollars and really he's my breeding buck, and I don't really want to spend that type of money. I'm so tempted to just Lance it myself and squish out what's in there but then I'm worried what if it's some kind of hard Mass but it's grown over a month so I'm guessing it's some kind of thick pus. And giving him the injections aren't doing anything so I stopped after a week. Has anybody ever dealt with this problem or lanced it themselves? I tried poking it with the tip of the needle after sterilizing it and taking it off of the syringe but nothing comes out cuz I think the hole is too small, I don't know if there's anything I can give him to kind of knock them out while I do it? Or should I just cull him... I've noticed his front teeth were not aligned a little over a month ago but there is no bulge on the side of his mouth until they moved him to a separate cage temporarily so I don't know if he was bit by a mouse or what!! I feel so guilty inside every time I see him and he wants me to pet him. Any suggestions!! ???

Thank u
Al
I've only had two rabbits with abscesses and I treated them differently, but both were ultimately successful. I've also worked with another person who had a rabbit with an abscess, and that was less successful.

One of my white Satin does had a big abscess on the inside of her hind leg. It kept getting bigger and was soft, so I cut it open to drain it. Simply lancing wasn't going to do it, since it was about 1-1/2" x 1/2" and I was fairly certain that I wouldn't be able to clean it out thoroughly. I cut off all of the skin all the way to the edge of the abscess, then used lots of q-tips and saline solution to clean it gently but very thoroughly (it was packed tightly with a big coil of semi-solid white pus), right to the edge of the healthy tissue. Interestingly, she did not object to any of this; she just lay on her back on my lap. I suspect that it may have been kind of numb. I filled the wound with Neosporin even though I figured she'd immediately work at licking it all off, which she did. That's all I did and she lived many productive years after that with no more problems; she didn't even have a noticeable scar. I suspect that it was so successful because while the abscess was fairly large, it was not particularly deep.

The other doe, a red Satin, had what I'm assuming was a tooth abscess, but I was young and new and didn't really know what to do, so I did nothing except wait. It was on her right cheek, and went so far as to push at her eye and make it bulge outward. She also ate very little for a while, so I gave her very leafy hay and fresh grass (fortunately it was summertime) and she ate the soft parts. I hadn't discovered Critical Care at that point; in fact it might not have been around yet. But after less than two weeks the swelling disappeared, and was never a problem again. I assume it burst by itself, since it went away almost overnight. She never got horribly skinny or looked like she was in pain; I would have put her down if she had been failing. So anyway, there's another option.

The other person's rabbit did not do as well, but I've concluded that it was because she was not willing to aggressively open and clean the wound (I admit it is difficult to make yourself do it, and it is quite gross!). She lanced it with a needle and squeezed, but the abscess reappeared within a week or two, and seemed to grow even faster. I don't know how the rabbit would have done if she'd tried again, because at that point she put it down.

Even before this episode, I was not a fan of lancing for abscesses per se. I know people use the approach, but it really seems to depend on how big you make the opening, and whether the shape of the abscess inclines it to drain well. Using a needle makes a puncture wound that can let other nasties in but doesn't allow you to be sure you've gotten all the problematic stuff out. That was kind of confirmed for me with the last rabbit described, although it is a sample of one. @Lil Acorn Acres Farm describes a similar situation, although from the description it sounds like a thorough flushing was possible, and the aperture was large enough to let a splinter out.

Whichever way you go, one of the biggest issues will be to keep him eating; Critical Care is often good for that. Sometimes rabbits take a while to recognize it as food - smear it in their mouths a few times to see if they'll come around - but most of them like it. Some prefer it more wet or more thick/dry, so you can play around with the consistency.

As far as malocclusion, if it has just appeared along with the abscess I would give him the benefit of the doubt, especially after seeing how deformed my red doe's face was for a while due to the pressure. If his teeth are not yet overgrown, that would suggest to me that he did not have a misalignment problem before the abscess, in which case it may not be genetic. But as @eco2pia implies, the abscess could be because of malocclusion, rather than the other way around.

And I agree with @eco2pia that malocclusion is not a thing to mess around with in your breeding program; it's heartbreaking to have to put down otherwise beautiful, sweet bunnies, a situation we're currently dealing with in both our Polish and our Holland Lops. :cry: So I would pay very close attention to his offspring as they grow. The frustrating thing is that sometimes - as is the case with our Polish - the malocclusion does not show up till about the age of 6 months, so it is very hard to track bunnies you've sold thinking they're correct. It's also terrible to think you've sold people a rabbit that will eventually have a serious health issue. If your buck makes it through, it will be important to see that his teeth realign themselves. Otherwise, I would not take the chance with breeding him again.

Last edited:
Well I had all my medical supplies out and it was in his mouth indulging outward towards his ear and under his eye and I just didn't know what to do he's a beautiful beautiful buck, I had all my tools and I was digging deep but I apparently it wasn't deep enough to get to the pus and he was all over the place even though I had him wrapped in a towel it was terrible watching him especially cuz it was so close to the mouth I had shaved down the fur and I just didn't know what to do so I ultimately put him down it was sad I didn't eat him or send them to freezer cam as I just buried him I wanted to check out the issue post mortem and even with my sharp sharp knife I use for taking off the fur etc I had a dick really deep to get to the pus pocket and I mean there was a lot in there thick like ricotta cheese and I felt bad thinking if only I had nerve to do it when he was alive. I didn't notice his misaligned teeth until the abscess showed up so I'm not sure if it was the abscess pushing the jaw to the side or if it was his jaw his teeth were not long but you can tell that they were filing down on an angle where they were longer on one side but still grinding down I just couldn't watch him suffer anymore he wasn't eating his pellets which I mix with boss and calf mana and he never resisted that the female has some beautiful beautiful babies I'm hoping they're okay I think there's even a couple magpies which is weird but hey they were both Harley Quinn so who knows what was in their jeans they're only a few days old but there's some beautiful spotted ones where they have black on each side of the face with the stripe of white in the middle and then all stripes on the sides so at least I have his beautiful offspring I will post pictures as they get older and start to fur out I just feel lucky that I was able to pair the two because that was my whole agenda as they were both beautiful colored Continental Harlies with beautiful markings looks like I'm going to be having some keepers it's going to be hard to find another buck as I like to stay with the harlequin color even if it's half Flemish half Continental.... It took me a long time to find him and it was a couple States over as I live in Connecticut... On the search continues again LOL rip Bucky

Too late now, but the PenG may have been necessary for longer than a week. Some diseases can take weeks and weeks of PenG to repair.
It wouldn't have worked anyway unless I opened up the abscess and drained the infection.... But I still do have it on hand you never know God forbid anything in the future gets sick

I ended up scouring Craigslist for another harlequin either Continental Giant or Flemish Giant and I found one I went to pick him up he wasn't as big as I thought he was but since I was 50 minutes away from my house I didn't feel like turning it down he still is workable, the man told me that in one ear he had ear mites that he was treating with olive oil đź‘€.... But I had ivermectin... And Frontline Plus I ended up going with the front line as I heard it works better for everything... Here I go down the proverbial rabbit hole lol .... He's a nice guy Harlequin color I'm suspecting he's half Harlequin half Flemish Giant.

I ended up scouring Craigslist for another harlequin either Continental Giant or Flemish Giant and I found one I went to pick him up he wasn't as big as I thought he was but since I was 50 minutes away from my house I didn't feel like turning it down he still is workable, the man told me that in one ear he had ear mites that he was treating with olive oil đź‘€.... But I had ivermectin... And Frontline Plus I ended up going with the front line as I heard it works better for everything... Here I go down the proverbial rabbit hole lol .... He's a nice guy Harlequin color I'm suspecting he's half Harlequin half Flemish Giant.
I'd suggest quarantining them for a while, especially with the mites

Latest posts

Back