Buck Upset?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Therian

Reaction score
I got a beautiful cali doe from my NZW/NZW liter and today was her first day to breed. I put her in with my new cali buck in the hopes id get lucky but when he failed I put in with my stud. He tried his best but she wouldn't lift so I took her out of the cage and as I was doing so he was making a "berp" like sound every 30 seconds or so.

I don't think she injured him and I know she didn't bite or get defensive so can bucks get frustrated when they can't get any lovin?

Therian":1g4ajip4 said:
I got a beautiful cali doe from my NZW/NZW liter and today was her first day to breed.

You got a Cali doe from a NZW buck and NZW doe? :shock: Hmmm....I would think that one or both of your NZWs are not pure NZW....not sure if that matters to you. :)

I put her in with my new cali buck in the hopes id get lucky but when he failed I put in with my stud. He tried his best but she wouldn't lift so I took her out of the cage

If the doe is not lifting, she is likely not receptive....did you check her vent area to see if it is hot pink/purple in color? Vent color indicates receptiveness, so white/light pink means she is not likely to be receptive. Med. Pink means she *might* lift, but might not. Hot pink/purple means she will likely lift without any issues.

and as I was doing so he was making a "berp" like sound every 30 seconds or so. I don't think she injured him and I know she didn't bite or get defensive so can bucks get frustrated when they can't get any lovin?

I would imagine that he was expressing his displeasure! :evil: :evil: :evil:

OneAcreFarm":1ixa62p7 said:
Therian":1ixa62p7 said:
I got a beautiful cali doe from my NZW/NZW liter and today was her first day to breed.

You got a Cali doe from a NZW buck and NZW doe? :shock: Hmmm....I would think that one or both of your NZWs are not pure NZW....not sure if that matters to you. :)
Not sure actually, I got the doe and she was already pregnant but the breeder said it was a NZW daddy but it was possible to get a cali if any of the rabbits had a Cali ancestor. Both rabbits look EXACTLY like black NZW with zero patterns and slightly redish/black legs. I don't really care though as I eat them and they love running around the pen with the dogs. I honestly keep as many adults as I do because the dogs enjoy romping around with them (Maltese mix so tiny muts)

If the doe is not lifting, she is likely not receptive....did you check her vent area to see if it is hot pink/purple in color? Vent color indicates receptiveness, so white/light pink means she is not likely to be receptive. Med. Pink means she *might* lift, but might not. Hot pink/purple means she will likely lift without any issues.
Honestly since she was a kit she refused to be handled and it only got worse, so I honestly don't want to even check with her considering the stress on her and I feel guilty after as she squeals/grunts. I was told if they don't take to put them back in the next day, I had similar rabbits like her in the past and I wasted enough time trying to check and do all that jazz. I will give her a few weeks to change her heart or I will eat her and replace with one from my next batch of Cali kits. I know it sounds amateurish but some rabbits I found just refuse to be held and I don't want their stay here to be stressful :) Moving her is easy with my 2-way box and she doesn't get super panicked that way lol.

I would imagine that he was expressing his displeasure! :evil: :evil: :evil:
I was hoping that was the case...been checking on him since lol. I wasn't sure if blue balls could happen to rabbit lol....I might put my Sasha in tonight and let him go to town.

Thank you for the responses :)

Therian":2gl0a053 said:
I know it sounds amateurish but some rabbits I found just refuse to be held and I don't want their stay here to be stressful :)

What about routine care such as nail trims or treatment for mites or wounds?

A NZW (New Zealand White) is an all white rabbit with pink eyes. New Zealands do come in black (NZB) and red (NZR). Sounds like your rabbits are likely crossbreeds, with some Californian in their background. I bred a Cali doe to a Chocolate Rex buck and got 3 solid black, and 4 Cali marked kits. So, you never know, but it IS fun to have a nestbox full of color!

OneAcreFarm":1xhx16xu said:
it IS fun to have a nestbox full of color!

I second this!!! My lionheads give me a riot of colour, and it's so much fun watching them get hair and colour out!

MamaSheepdog":uw9xtz3g said:
Therian":uw9xtz3g said:
I know it sounds amateurish but some rabbits I found just refuse to be held and I don't want their stay here to be stressful :)

What about routine care such as nail trims or treatment for mites or wounds?
Easily done in the cage without moving them, however only my new doe refuses to get picked up and handled....my buck enjoys being held and pet where the rest tolerate me.

Bad Habit":uw9xtz3g said:
OneAcreFarm":uw9xtz3g said:
it IS fun to have a nestbox full of color!

I second this!!! My lionheads give me a riot of colour, and it's so much fun watching them get hair and colour out!

I agree....all my liters to date have been pure black kits....no spots or any other colors :( Doing some cali/cali and cali/nzw mixes now to get some color out there :p

Cali/Cali will get you all Cali marked kits....Cali/NZW will get you lightly Cali marked kits. For more color, you need to introduce a another color....chocolate, blue, some kind of broken or shaded.

I've been trying to find me a broken lionhead, and am keeping a vienna marked doe from this litter to try and breed BEWs in a few months. I just had 2 nest box surprises this last litter - smoke pearl and siamese sable. Very exciting, lol.

Latest posts

Back