Buck turned on me ****Up date***

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracie123

Reaction score
Is it normal when breeding for the buck to turn mean? This morning i breed my blue new zealands, both have been soooo sweet and loving. So after the buck serviced her 3 times, i reached in his cage and he bit me so i jerked back, reached in againg and he just about made hamburger meat out of my arm, my neighbor was outside and came over when he i was screaming, he got the buck off of me and then it turned on him. We were able to get the doe out. Is this normal or what?
Tracie

Got ALL stitches and tubes out today, will have 1 area that will scar but atleast its on the back of my arm and I dont / wont have to see it.
Tracie

Tracie had you ever bred him before??? thats scary. Ive had em growl at me or thump but never a full on attack. Are YOU OK?????
I dont think that would be a trait I would want to keep honestly

darn stuttering :-X

Lol... I fixed it for you! - MSD

I have never had that happen either. I hope you and your rescuer are alright.

If you decide to give him another try, wear gloves and a heavy long sleeved shirt. If he does it again, I would cull him.

This was his 1st time with me, called the breeder I got him from and she said that she forgot to tell me about this, she said he would be like this for a week, then be his loving self again. Went to the er over my arm and the er nurse was like a rabbit did this,but she got it all cleaned up and now i have 47 stitches in it.
Neighbor got stitches as well. Just dont think I want to mess with him again.
Tracie

tracie123":1w8n291u said:
called the breeder I got him from and she said that she forgot to tell me about this

What??? Unloaded a vicious animal on an unsuspecting buyer is more like it! :evil:

tracie123":1w8n291u said:
now i have 47 stitches

That is horrid! You must be so traumatized. ((Hugs))

I am revising my advice- put that rabbit in the stewpot ASAP.

47 stitches...the boy would be in the pot. seriously. that's ridiculous.

that's not something you "forget" to tell someone about.

I would give him (and any other rabbits you bought) back to the breeder and get my money back - and have her pay the medical bills.

Piper":fa8fsdiq said:
I would give him (and any other rabbits you bought) back to the breeder and get my money back - and have her pay the medical bills.

I would too! My gosh, she has openly admitted to you that she knew he is vicious when she sold him to you! I'm sorry, but that's not something you just forget, especially when he's like that for a week at a time! She knew what she was doing! :evil:

I hope you and your neighbor will heal quickly, that sounds like it was very traumatic for you! I'm so sorry!

OH,My. I had a buck turn on me. But nothing like that. I would of killed it right then and there. NO way would i put up with that. That is a unual buck. And goes for the person that sold you that buck. . Shame on her/him. I hope you bring him back to his person. and that many stitches. wow. I feal sorry for you. Hope you recover with little scarying . :)

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1jdcf7s1 said:
OH,My. I had a buck turn on me. But nothing like that. I would of killed it right then and there. NO way would i put up with that. That is a unual buck. And goes for the person that sold you that buck. . Shame on her/him. I hope you bring him back to his person. and that many stitches. wow. I feal sorry for you. Hope you recover with little scarying . :)

Honestly, I have killed kits and jrs on the spot for less than that. Growling can be ignored, nipping gets another try, breaking the flesh might warrent further thought. But gashes big enough for stitches-I would have ended his life right then and there.

The previous owner is liable.....knowingly selling a dangerous animal...is grounds for suit.

I'd take the buck back to them/him/her and shove it where the sun don't shine!!! That would cause them to "recall". HAH....lying sack of do-do!

grump.

After a long talk with the breeder she doesnt want the buck back or want to even refund my money, said she was sorry for the bad luck! Went to get him out to cull him and he jumped at my face so now he is running around in the back yard, he can keep running around as far as I care!!! Maybe he will met him a coyote..
Tracy

tracie123":1izy0xik said:
After a long talk with the breeder she doesnt want the buck back or want to even refund my money, said she was sorry for the bad luck! Went to get him out to cull him and he jumped at my face so now he is running around in the back yard, he can keep running around as far as I care!!! Maybe he will met him a coyote..
Tracy

BAD LUCK!!! Sorry, if it was a nursing, cranky meat breed doe, maybe. But bucks are generally not foul tempered. This was not bad luck. If this was a rabbit I sold, I'd offer to cull it for you, and leave you with another or a breeding or something.

Oh my goodness. I bought a bunch of meat mutts that had never really been handled and they don't act like that. That is terrible. Someone should go turn that buck loose on her.<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 pm __________<br /><br />Or better yet. Catch it in a live trap and go turn it loose in her barn. :) Or house.

I don't handle my rabbits unless they need some kind of treatment. They are in a colony and except for Alice, our matriarch, they really don't like to be picked up or handled. BUT... none of them would behave that way. They may be skittish but they are not vicious. The person who sold him to you without disclosure, Tracie, is totally irresponsible and should be brought to book for what she did.

I would like to know the persons name and the name of the rabbitry. They would never sell me or anyone I know a rabbit again. That is terrible.

It is considered bad form to give the name of a breeder or rabbitry under these circumstances. Please do not post such information here. PM's are the way to go if you suspect you may be directly affected by a situation such as this.

Latest posts

Back