Buck or Doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
I've been reading that bucks will urinate all over the house if they are not neutered. Is this true even if there are no females around? Should I get a doe instead if I want to bring my rabbit in the house for grooming and socializing with the family? It will be a french angora living in a hutch outside.

Also I read somewhere that bucks are more friendly than does, but I figured that it really just depends on the rabbit's personality. Any input on this?

My first rabbit was an intact mini rex buck and he never missed his litter box. He never marked or sprayed. Maybe I was lucky? I think it depends on the rabbits themselves.

Most bucks will me more friendly, they don't have the same hormone changes going on all the time like does do. Does can also spray, more rare, but possible. I had a buck alone and he didn't spray the house, but I believe some may end up marking you as his GF, so..lol. I can't help with that bit.

In my experience male rabbits make much better pets.

Marking territory can be an issue but it depends on the rabbit. My mini lop bucks don't spray but do chin rub and 'flirt' with me - constantly - it can become very annoying as they are always in my way. My meat breeds don't spray and don't 'flirt', they do some exploring, a bit of chin rubbing then plop down for a nap. :D

I personally like the 'feisty' and aloof attitude that many females have but I enjoy animals that keep me on my toes and are a challenge behavior wise and I don't like to cuddle with my pets.

Angoras are usually a very easily handled breed since they require so much grooming, but bucks seem to be sweeter, more cuddly rabbits in general across the breeds.

So let me confirm what most people are saying, males make better pets and there usually isn't any problem with spraying? So you guys think I should get a buck?

I would go with a buck and hope he doesn't spray. You might want to ask the breeder(s) if their stock sprays a lot. It is something that can be selected against- none of my bucks has ever sprayed me, and there is no urine on the walls of my bunny barn.

I am sure you could likely train him not to spray... you would just have to watch him carefully and reprimand him if he starts to spray something, and then quickly put him back into his cage.

If you are purchasing your rabbit to be only a Pet and not as a breeder,
I would say go with a Young Buck. Does tend to become a bit harder to handle
as they come into maturity. After all, Rabbits are veritable breeding machines
if aloud complete control of their environment. Bucks seem to not actually
understand until they are introduced to the formality.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

i have noticed that if they are not around girls, they dont spray, some cases not at all and some jult a bit

Latest posts

Back