Buck going sterile in heat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmabb

Reaction score
At what point does the buck go sterile from being outside in the summer? What the degree? It's a cloudy breeze/windy day with a chance of rain but it's 97 degrees. I cant take the risk but I do want them outside? I've been having them inside to care for there health and out of the heat. :bunnyhop:

97 degrees is pretty hot. I'd keep the buck in until daytime highs are reaching no more than 85 degrees. Not all bucks are affected the same by the heat. Young bucks are generally able to stay fertile at higher temperatures than older bucks... but there are no guarantees.

Depends on the rabbit. My little broken blue mini rex buck sure had no trouble creating summer litters when I didn't even want him to. Last year we couldn't get a litter for anything until oct or nov.

I would base when to move them out more on how close the outside temps are to the house temp. Even if they might not go sterile at 85 they will have some major issues in those temps if you keep your house at 68. On the other hand if your house is already around 85 they probably won't notice too much difference even if the temps are around 90.

Interesting. Our house is at 80 and feels cool. I was just wondering. My buck is only a year old and in good health. What I do alot is basic on how cool it is outside to me when I step outside for a few. Ugh just a month away from coooooler weather!!!!! *bangs head on wall*

What you could do is bring the does to the buck indoors. Once they are bred, it is less of a concern if the buck becomes heat sterile for awhile. Once the indoor and outdoor temperatures equalize a bit more, you should be able to put him back out, his mission already accomplished.

Well I did breed my girls on 8/24 and i'm feeling some lumps, scratching in cages and grunting/whining when I touch bellies. I think my girls are pregnant but until I see babies I wont know for sure. I will take your advice thanks

It can take up to three months.
If you want to hurry things along
keep using the Buck, the more you use him
the more quickly the blanks will be shot out.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

It is not a case of the blanks being shot out-- it is a case of the factory getting back on line. The blanks will be gone in two services.

I don't know if anyone is watching this thread. But I breed my doe on the July 8 and was wondering about heat sterile in bucks. The temps leading up to the breeding was: 6/30-7/7 85, 64; 86, 69; 74, 66; 81, 63; 63, 57; 90, 67; 88, 64. Week of the breeding the temps were:7/8-7/11 74, 62; 70, 60; 79, 60; 75, 62; 91, 71.

Tried to palpate her today and didn't feel anything. :shrug:

Also I have been trying to get my second doe breed and am hoping for a freak cold spell to pop up.

Well I'm simply glad to hear that a buck going sterile from heat is not a permanent thing!
So far we have not had an issue with a buck going sterile from heat but I was concerned about it with how hot it has been lately. I'm relieved to know that things can get working again if a problem does occur! :) I did not know that.

mine most certainly went sterile. He became "of age" just before temps skyrocketed. Been trying off an on ever since to no avail on several does. Did NOT think to just try again and again more often. Have several (4) non productive does who I'd really like to see some kits out of sometime this year gdit :roll: <br /><br /> -- Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:35 pm -- <br /><br /> welp, thanks to this thread, I finally have does about to kid soon I think. Or at least very convincing false pregnancies.

wamplercathy":q2tinqry said:
My big question is how fast can they bounce back? :p :lol: :lol:

That's a good question .... Dood stated in another thread that spermatogenesis in rabbits is a ~3 week process.

post280751.html#p280751

Dood":q2tinqry said:
And heat sterility is not an "all or nothing thing" - some of the sperm will be damaged so it can't make it to the egg but there are A LOT of sperm in each cover so there could be a few that get the job done.

"Clearing the blanks" will only work if the newer/younger sperm is not heat damaged and since spermatogenis is a 3 week process from beginning to the end of the line, so to speak, really excessive heat can make a buck have decreased fertility even into fall

Now after doing some reading on the subject , it appears duration of spermatogenesis in rabbits is between 41-70 days.

Here's a few links on the subject of spermatogenesis in rabbits each giving a different # of days. The longest suggesting 60-70 days. That appears to be the maximum length of time.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 6/abstract

http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690e/t1690e05.htm

http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v10/n4 ... 0056a.html

Dood":333ttbry said:
Over 6 weeks ! I was way off :oops:

I better double check my references ;)

Maybe this explains at least part of it ...

The estimated total duration of spermatogenesis in the rabbit depends on the point chosen as the onset of spermatogenesis. If spermatogenesis is considered to begin with the first of the series of spermatogonial divisions leading to the production of primary spermatocytes then about four cycles of the seminiferous epithelium or 4 × 10.9 = 43.6 days are required. However, if one assumes that spermatogenesis starts with the formation of spermatogonial stem cells and that the lifespan of these stem cells is one cycle of the seminiferous epithelium then spermatogenesis extends over about 4.75 cycles, or 51.8 days.

I'm inclined to believe that you are correct in that its not all or nothing , accept under extreme conditions. Some will be damaged while others not. Smaller litters coming out of the summer hear seem to support that with much larger litters following.

I just hope the worst of it is behind us .... there was a two week period of 110+ heat & very high humidity here. It's still in the upper 90's .... going to be a while before breeding starts for me.

TO SUM THIS UP:

So given the data shown above and through the links. "Buck becoming sterile due to the heat" depends on the following:
-age (older bucks being more affected then the young guns)
-temp: fluctuation, and duration of temps over 85*
-genetics (animals with better heat tolerance are less affected, than ones with low heat tolerace)

This condition will most likely resolve its self within 3-6wks depending on the extent of the damage.

Does that sound about right?

wamplercathy":3jfak1ni said:
TO SUM THIS UP:

So given the data shown above and through the links. "Buck becoming sterile due to the heat" depends on the following:
-age (older bucks being more affected then the young guns)
-temp: fluctuation, and duration of temps over 85*
-genetics (animals with better heat tolerance are less affected, than ones with low heat tolerace)

This condition will most likely resolve its self within 3-6wks depending on the extent of the damage.

Does that sound about right?

And frequency of use! Because of this thread, I bred my buck to my does much more regularly for a week (before I was just breeding him to two off and on to test fertility). Today, despite it being hot (above 85 - mostly into 90s) since my last efforts and determination that he must be sterile from heat... I have wigglers! My first wigglers in years. :) So it is with great excitement that I get to send you all a hearty :thankyou: !!! Without that suggestion, I wouldn't have seen a single kit until well after October (when weather here finally starts to cool off).

Latest posts

Back