Broken rex question...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peggysue

Reaction score
I have a quickie regarding the broken gene if anyone knows...

I got a new baby today, a blanket broken blue doe (she is stunning!!). My buck is a blue self (from blue selfs). I know I will get a mix of selfs and brokens but will she throw 'normal' brokens, blanket brokens or a mixture? Or am I way off? :) She is from broken tort and lilac otter btw.

Any info would be great, thanks.

Blue - aa B_ C_ dd E_ enen
broken [black?]tort - aa B_ C_ D_ ee Enen
lilac otter ata bb C_ dd E_ enen

broken blue from above [I've figured out that you got this doe from someone else. At first I thought you meant she was kindled from one of yours and the blue buck was her sire.]
aa Bb C_ dd Ee Enen

the only thing I can tell you for sure is that she can't carry Agouti or Otter since self is the most recessive
Bred to your solid blue buck she can have ONLY self kits, half will be broken [over time] and the other half solid.
If your buck carries "b" brown she could give you lilac and broken lilac
If your buck carries "e" non extension, she could give you blue tort, [and if he has the "b" gene also lilac tort.

BTW Would love to see some pictures of the lilac otter :)
The blanket, vs the more "spotty" broken pattern are determined by modifying genes and it's hard to tell until you've bred her a few times.

Thank you for replying. Sorry if I wasnt clear, yes she is from someone else, my blue self is her future love interest :)

I will check his pedigree to see whats further back in his lines, I know his sire and dam are both blue though.

I doubt he carries non extension :(

I only have 1 pic of the lilac otter off the breeder but I will upload it.

I need to wait and see regarding the modifying gene then, I really hope she throws blanket brokens, they are my fave I think!<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:29 am __________<br /><br />Can I just clarify, so she is a broken? It's the modifying gene which determined she has the blanket pattern?
Will she still produce the usual ratio of selfs, brokens and charlies?

Also, I am beginning to wonder if my lovely doe has had a visit from the sex change fairy....'she' is still only small so I will give it a couple of weeks and look again.

If she/he has white on her, she/he is a broken. She/he could be a booted broken, which I have in mini Rex, but not Rex.

Technically, statistically, she/he will produce selfs and brokens. She/he can only produce charlies if bred to a another broken.

Modifier can't be really known until the rabbit is bred, but you can sort of- assume that a heavily patterned broken will produce heavily patterned kits with a solid or heavily patterned partner.

Thank you, the plan is to put her to my blue self buck (if she is a doe) so I would be very happy with blue self and broken blue (hopefully heavily marked). She isn't quite booted.

If she turns into a 'he' who knows! It's staying regardless but if it is a he then I wouldnt put him to my bew girl but possibly my frosty point (I have no idea what they would produce though) and I have my fingers crossed a breeder friends next litter produces a blanket broken chocolate otter doe for me so she would be a possibility for him.<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:06 pm __________<br /><br />
120.jpg

Here's the little sweetie at 6 weeks, still with mum :)

peggysue":22t3tmz9 said:
I am beginning to wonder if my lovely doe has had a visit from the sex change fairy....'she' is still only small so I will give it a couple of weeks and look again.

Cute rabbit! The head looks a bit blocky to be a doe, at least compared to my Standard Rex.

Have you seen this?

male-or-female-t8068.html

It might help you determine if she is a he. :)

Thanks for the link, it was that post which made me question the breeders verdict. Im convinced there's a 'tube' rather than a slit, in the morning I will try and get a pic and see what you guys think if you dont mind.

peggysue":2a0l8t0k said:
in the morning I will try and get a pic and see what you guys think if you dont mind.

Always happy to look at bunny pics...

Any bunny pics! :roll: :mrgreen:

Even rudey ones? Hope the neighbours dont see.....
I'll add a few more tomorrow, I love showing them off :)

A broken to a self is: 50% solid & 50% broken, the color vary and the the amount of broken's coverage is typically varies also.

tnelsonfla":3gz73h4h said:
A broken to a self is: 50% solid & 50% broken

Which of course varies litter to litter. I have two recent litters out of two self does bred to a broken buck. One doe had all solids and one broken, and the other doe had all brokens and one solid! :lol: How's that for funny timing? :)

I've never got a 50/50 litter. The one now is 3/2, the last one 3/1. Scream bred two my herd sire twice (castor to broken black) produced 5 black and one broken 5/1, and 5 black, no broken. Genetics is not that simple. Statistically speaking, it may take many breeding before you reach a 50/50 ratio.

Well here's some pics of bunny, I still think buck (if so I don't think bunny will be able to carry off the name 'Little Suzie'). If any of you could give your input I'd be very grateful :)

025-1.jpg

021-2.jpg

Ah rubbish :( well it's not, he's beautiful but I really didn't need 2 bucks, Gideon has some competition!

So he will in the future be paired up with my frosty point doe and hopefully a blanket broken choccy otter doe if my friends doe produces one.

At least his name could work :)

3mina":bur6gup7 said:
Me neither but I grew up out in the sticks and that's what was on the radio

Not to hijack the thread, but I do love how he pops up on everyones tv shows. Little House on the Praire, Dr. Quin Medicine Woman...

Latest posts

Back