Broken NZ/Satin kits.. diluted? Or? Broken tort?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are kits from CC the NZ and Charlie(her baby picture) the satin. There appears to be 2 broken black and 4 tri. Would you call them something else? Many thanks!View attachment 39856View attachment 39855View attachment 39852View attachment 39853View attachment 39854
What gorgeous healthy babies! :love:

Three of those look like broken torts to me. The placement of the blue-gray (ears, eyes, nose and flanks, and I'm guessing tails too, although I can't see those) and the shading of that color into the orange/fawn, rather than discrete spots of different colors, are typical of tort. Tricolors could have blurry/messy spots too, but that usually looks more like bridled that shaded. They also don't really look like dilutes - the orange would be fawn. Tort color looks more smokey at first and darkens with age.

However, there's one that I'd like to see more images of, since it has what looks more like discrete spots:
baby crop.jpg

Torts in the litter means the doe is also carrying the non-extension e. And speaking of the doe, it's hard to be sure from this photo, but she looks like she may show some effects of harlequin e(j). It could be just an effect of the lighting, and it is very little color to go on, but she seems to have some tan mixed into her black. At first I thought it might be otter, but looking at the ear, it appears to have more alternation between dark/light than you'd see in an otter (in which case she'd be e(j)e):
Charlie crop.jpg

Anyway, one of the parents would have to have an e(j) to produce tris. So if the kit pictured above is tricolor, I think you could credit Charlie.

BTW, CC looks like a sable point again in this photo. :ROFLMAO:

What gorgeous healthy babies! :love:

Three of those look like broken torts to me. The placement of the blue-gray (ears, eyes, nose and flanks, and I'm guessing tails too, although I can't see those) and the shading of that color into the orange/fawn, rather than discrete spots of different colors, are typical of tort. Tricolors could have blurry/messy spots too, but that usually looks more like bridled that shaded. They also don't really look like dilutes - the orange would be fawn. Tort color looks more smokey at first and darkens with age.

However, there's one that I'd like to see more images of, since it has what looks more like discrete spots:
View attachment 39857

Torts in the litter means the doe is also carrying the non-extension e. And speaking of the doe, it's hard to be sure from this photo, but she looks like she may show some effects of harlequin e(j). It could be just an effect of the lighting, and it is very little color to go on, but she seems to have some tan mixed into her black. At first I thought it might be otter, but looking at the ear, it appears to have more alternation between dark/light than you'd see in an otter (in which case she'd be e(j)e):
Thank you! I was happy with her first litter of 6. She's been a good mum.

Sorry! I always think of Charlie as a broken black. Charlie is a broken otter doe /colour broken black on her pedigree. at_B_C_D_E_ Both of her parents were broken black Otter. Her 2 brothers were broken black otters. Her sister is Blue. The line is full of black otters, blue otters and broken black or broken blue. With 2 not stating the colour 1 from Crazy Head Creek Farms Chocolate Kisses - Ear on the sire side of the sire and the other Berntsons Far Fetchd -AB2 on the sire side of the doe.

I was leaning towards broken tort because of the light shades of colours.

My camera doesn't take very good photos in the cold. Charlie has a 2 shot time limit even with the bribe. As soon as a baby squeaks from the cooler air, she's there. The kit you arrowed has the most "red" coverage .I shot that for Kayliana as it is her favorite of "the cutest litter you've had" Well it looked red but I've noticed a lot of them are changing those areas to a mixed colour with brown,blue or black... They looked more "tri" at birth but then they kept on changing.

Yes! The color separation seems too discrete to be simply tort, especially that dark spot on the nose. In a tort, the whole whisker bed would normally be gray. Also, those spots on the sides of the head: not only are they fairly distinctly separated, but it almost looks as if they're agouti. With these new views, I'm more inclined to call it harlequinized.

Here's a solid tort, for reference regarding where the dark and light usually is on the face. She's an adult, so a lot darker than kits would be:
Tort doe with black kit.jpg

Yes! The color separation seems too discrete to be simply tort, especially that dark spot on the nose. In a tort, the whole whisker bed would normally be gray. Also, those spots on the sides of the head: not only are they fairly distinctly separated, but it almost looks as if they're agouti. With these new views, I'm more inclined to call it harlequinized.

Harlequinized broken tort?

Harlequin interacts with otter (and many other genes!) in strange ways. So your kit/kits (as well as Charlie) might be what is known as "japanese fox" aka torted japanese otter <at_??C_D_e(j)_> In this case, "tort" doesn't necessarily refer to the non-extension e but rather the shading resulting from the interaction of at and e(j).

Especially in brokens, there is so little color to go on that it might be easy to miss the subtle effects of harlequinization/torting (re: pedigree naming all otters without including mention of harlequin). Also, many people totally miss the variations in color that come from a partially dominant or incompletely expressed e(j); sometimes you have to be looking for it to see it.

Harlequin interacts with otter (and many other genes!) in strange ways. So your kit/kits (as well as Charlie) might be what is known as "japanese fox" aka torted japanese otter <at_??C_D_e(j)_> In this case, "tort" doesn't necessarily refer to the non-extension e but rather the shading resulting from the interaction of at and e(j).

Especially in brokens, there is so little color to go on that it might be easy to miss the subtle effects of harlequinization/torting (re: pedigree naming all otters without including mention of harlequin). Also, many people totally miss the variations in color that come from a partially dominant or incompletely expressed e(j); sometimes you have to be looking for it to see it.
Thank you. I appreciate your knowledge and sharing. Since these are not pedigreed rabbits I can simply share what I know. I'm going to enjoy them so much - as will the assisted living residents due to their colours and spots. When I brought in my solid NZ after my broken Rex I heard"Too bad these don't have spots." lol

I have a NZ litter due - CC and Oreo Delight (broken black) it will be interesting to see if there are any similarities in colours/patterns. 1000001643.jpg

I'm going to enjoy them so much - as will the assisted living residents due to their colours and spots. When I brought in my solid NZ after my broken Rex I heard"Too bad these don't have spots." lol
Mckatie, do you have to keep the rabbits in harness when you visit assisted living residents, or are they permitted to roam?

Latest posts

Back