broken MR markings and critique

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
What are the required and the preferred markings for a broken mini rex? I have 2 broken bucks from the last litter that I am keeping one of. I prefer the black but it has no nose marking and some white at the base of the ear. The black was fostered out to a champagne d'argent doe and the blue was left on yukiko who developped mastitis so there is a big difference in their size and all the ones left on yukiko developped thin fuzzy coats that I'm thinking they'll grow out of.

black
DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

DSCN0232.jpg

blue
DSCN0227.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

DSCN0226.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 pm __________<br /><br />Also at what minimum age can you show a junior? There's a show in March I'd like to try showing a few of the rabbits at but these guys would only be 8-9 weeks. Tsuya would be 10-11weeks old.

There is no minimum age to show a Jr, there is however a minimum weight, they must be at least 2 pounds and not over 3.5lbs

For brokens they need more then 10% colour and under 60% colour. Although a full butterfly is prefered as long as the rabbit has colour in the whisker bed it won't be Dq'd. Colour on the ears doesn't really matter as long as there is some there.

As for at this age they're very hard to critique as they are so young, they're going to be doing a lot of growing and changing yet.

Well Tsuya is 1.6lbs so she will might make 2lbs before the march show. The broken black probably won't but I might haul him and the broken blue along to get opinions on who to keep and sell the other one.<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm __________<br /><br />Picture day, picture day. I've decided the broken blue is a doe and I'm keeping her. The broken black lacks type, has his mom's ugly head, and is difficult to handle already so may have her attitude as well. He's dog food. There are no redeeming qualities in him.

Little blue doe
DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

Those ears are kind of big and her mother's brother has ears slightly over the limit so it concerns me. She may still make an ok brood doe though and I'll just cross her to Ashige to bring the ear size down. Mocha threw a doe with big ears out of a doe with small ears so I'm not using him.

To tell you the truth,
I have not had much experience with any of the Rex
but I believe that at this point the Doe appears to be
a little bit long in type and quite Hippy.
When you run your hand over the back do your fingers hang up on the hip bones?
The rabbit is young and needs a bit more time to fill out.
As for showing as a "Very Young Junior" I would not waste my time or $$money$$.
At that age the rabbit will never be able to compete with the older juniors it will be shown against.
I would wait till it is at least four or five months old before taking it to a show.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Mine have been making senior weight by 3 months and mostly stop gaining weight by 5.

Personally I'd cull the broken blue. She's way to long and flat in type and I don't like the way her hips stick out or how pinched she is in the lower HQ. Her fur looks a little long and too wooly.

The fur quality and probably some of her hips sticking out is a result of her mom getting mastitis and the kits nearly starving to death. All the kits left on the doe have fur like that and all of the litter fostered out before that have good coats so I'm waiting to see how those kits turn out after eating well for a few weeks.

Akane- wait on the youngsters to fill out and catch up-- trying to make a decision about ANY animal that is behind due to nutritional issues can backfire quite easily. Also, if the smaller animals catch up, and meet of exceed the quality of the other ones, you have a better idea of how your stock bounces back after stressfull beginnings. There is a point, though, that there is no return, But it does not look like your smaller babies ever hit that ....

Latest posts

Back