Broken color on mini rex?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asinaway

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with broken colors, I tend to stick to solids more but this is my first born in my herd.

Do you guy's think this Doe is a broken red or a booted red? Not sure if there is enough pattern on her? I'd like to show her once to get opinions on her, but if she's booted there would be no reason to put her on the table. I think she's a bit to smutty anyhow, she is out of a broken castor and a castor. She has such a nice temperament in her, something that I love in my mini rex; so either way i'll probably keep her, and see if when paired with a nice buck what I can get.

Here are some pictures, hope they are sufficient and can anyone give me opinions on her please!

She is only a few months old so she has some growing out to do.

013.jpg

018-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

015.jpg

She doesn't have enough pattern to show. She might even be DQ. However if you pair her with a solid from some well marked brokens you could get nice kits from her.

Okay I was leaning more towards her being a booted red but I kept going back and forth, I really did not know. Thank you so much.

Is she worth keeping around? I'm really working on trying to get broken reds into my herd.

I would consider her to be booted as well. I love that third picture- she looks like a squirrel with short little ears! :lol:

MamaSheepdog":2lakac8y said:
I would consider her to be booted as well. I love that third picture- she looks like a squirrel with short little ears! :lol:

lol now that I look at that she dose. She's such a character, I let her out when I do chores and she follows me around. It drives all the boy's nuts, and she sits right in front of their cages, as if shes mocking them. :lol:

I think she is adorable! :p I would have a hard time parting with her. :) Why don't you breed her as Akane suggested, and see what she throws?

Got a booted castor like that for my tri color program. I'd breed her as suggested.

It's settled I shall keep her around and see what she gives me. Now I'm all excited to see what she throws. It's gonna be a long many months lol.

I have a booted that crossed to 2 of my lines would produce kits you'd nearly mistake for charlies. The genes the solids carry have as much impact on the amount of white as the broken with too little white. If her type and coat is good there's no reason not to use her unless all your other lines throw only booteds and you don't have the genes for more white.

Hi
I would try her with a broken because then you would prob get brokens with better patterns. With a solid you may get more booted non showables. ( unless your solid maybe carries broken in lines)

I don't have anything to add accept that she is one darn cute bunny. I would keep her just for that. :)

Breeding to a broken is just as likely to give you as many non showable offspring as breeding to a solid due to the charlies. It's also no guarantee the greater white on the other broken will win over the modifiers for lesser white on the booted. We don't understand and can't map all the modifiers for white amount so it's unpredictable what will happen. You are best off breeding to a solid that you know has well marked brokens in it's background such as being able to see the parents or from someone who shows brokens well and therefore has a good breeding program going.

I want to know whether you or the bunny wrote those notes on the whiteboard! It looks for all the world as if she's trying to lecture you on rabbit genetics . . . and you are a very *ruler smack* slow student! LOL. And when it comes to rabbit genetics, I'd be in the corner with the dunce cap!

:writelines:

I'm with Countryhorse here.. if you breed her to WELL_MARKED brokens or if you can get a charlie then you will be better off. Booteds tend to throw more booteds; and a solid rabbit unless it has already had brokens in other litters that are properly marked, you have no way of knowing what amount of modifiers they do actually carry. As this little bun here also has a totally solid head, I would still be prepared for a lot of DQ'd marks. We had a line of brokens that while they had a nice amount of makings elsewhere, on their heads it was almost solid except for their chins and a bit of white up between the ears. We had judges mark them down just for that even though there is no mention of it in the standard.Standard calls only for "colour in the whisker-bed" and two solid ears and i think colour around the eyes.. can't remember. How long do you have to wait to breed her? Hope its not too long!She is a very nice red. :)

Thank you for the great advice! She's three months old now, I usually wait till about six months old; but i usually check for signs of readiness and go of gut instinct.

My really good friend has a broken red buck, with nice markings. We are going to meet up at the next show in lansing and maybe do a trade, or i'll just buy him. I belive she said he has almost all broken in his background.

She also has a booted red buck, but I'm thinking booted to booted would be a bad idea?

I need to get my hands on the standard, because I don't really know what makes a good broken. I know the butterfly on the nose is important, and things need to be symetrical? Sp?

Booted to booted, no. Brokens have basically the same or color on both sides of face, butterfly or can be spot on each side, ears covered down to the head, prefer no scattered whites up in them, both eyes colored all the way around, pattern on body just preferred to be well dispersed, (all over) some have spots all over some have a small blanket type with spots. Google broken mini Rex and look at the images to give you an idea on good and poorer brokens. I do better looking at pics than "reading " a standard and having to interpret it into a pic in my mind, lol!
I would do the broken red buck to her, pass on the booted.
Let us know how it goes.
Best of luck!

I think she's lovely and with a sweet disposition, perfect to pass on that trait to the kits. Truly can't wait to see what she gives you with the broken red buck that you stated you might consider getting.

Learning about brokens myself. I have a broken Chocolate LH doe. She lacks the butterfly, but her ears are both solid coloring, both eyes have the same color pattern, and she has a upside down exclamation mark on her back. Not sure if I could show her.

Do better with pics too instead of just reading too.

Wishing you all the luck with her! Please let us know how it goes.

Karen

That actually helps reading and then looking at the pictures, I think I have a good idea now what I want to see in future brokens.

I can't wait to breed her, maybe I will get some future broken reds to bring up on the 2013 show table! I do like a good challenge, lol. Even if is fustrates me sometimes.

Thank you guys for the well wishes, I will most defintly keep you all updated on her progress!

Back