Broken Chocolate + Blue = Black?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
I recently had a litter from my blue Polish doe and Broken Chocolate buck and ALL the kits are black or broken black. What the heck? I would expect one or two black since they have ancestors that are black/broken black on their pedigree, but not all black. Will the kits stay black or lighten up as they get older?

Black is the dominant color.

Both dilute and chocolate are recessives that require doubling up to show on the coat. In other words, the genes to produce blue or chocolate would have to come from both parents. Your black kits will all carry one copy of dilute from your doe, and one copy of chocolate from the buck.

Are there also chocolates on the doe's pedigree or blues on the buck's? Other wise you may only ever get blacks.

Black and chestnut are like the default colors. If your blue rabbit doesn't carry chocolate you can't get chocolate or lilac and if your chocolate doesn't carry dilute you can't get blue or lilac. It all leads to black. It's possible in future litters you might find other colors.

Okay thanks. I'm still figuring out all this genetic. But talk about a boring cross, I know the doe doesn't have anything besides broken blue, blue, broken black and black in her pedigree and the buck doesn't have any blue.

Dood":3fwmj55z said:
If you keep a doe and buck and breed back to the parents you will get black, blue and chocolate

That's what I am hoping to do. I have 2 black does and a broken black buck, depending on type I'll decide which to keep. I am hoping the broken black and one of the black has good type, although with my luck the doe with less than 10% black will probably have the best type since she is un showable.

Let me clarify

If you keep a female and breed back to her chocolate father you'll get black and chocolate but no blue

If you keep a male and breed back to his blue mother you'll get black and blue but no chocolate

Dood":2qttoz0o said:
Let me clarify

If you keep a female and breed back to her chocolate father you'll get black and chocolate but no blue

If you keep a male and breed back to his blue mother you'll get black and blue but no chocolate

Yep, that's what I thought you meant. So far they will be 2 weeks old Thursday, they have their eyes open. I am really liking the looks of the 2 black does, they have a compact head and short ears (like their mother), the broken seems more like his father, not sure if I am to thrilled about that. I can't wait until they are old enough to really evaluate.

Latest posts

Back