Bringing in rabbits from the cold

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I normally have a hard and fast rule.

Rabbits stay OUT of the house. They do not come in. The most I ever do is bring in wee polish kits in the cold of winter...but only for about 5 days and only at night.

WELL>>> our temperature has totally plummetted.

So...I gave in tonight... I had lost a litter last night from a doe who made a horrid nest, probably would have lost the kits in the summer as well... but NOT really wanting to lose these two litters as well. Betty is on Strike three and I really really really (can't stress how much really) want a litter off her so giving her the best kick at the can as I can.

January142012006.jpg
Dusty

January142012007.jpg

Betty rebuilding her nest

January142012008.jpg

my bunny coat doubling as a safety zone for two rather wide-eyed does.

I'm not so sure I'll do this again...but for tonight and probably tomorrow night I'll be hosting a couple does in the house.

You old softie! :D

I've done that on occasion, when the buns were still in cages. I am surprised and delighted by how much warmer they stay in the colony. I guess everybunny cuddles together and, of course, the nest tunnels are warmer than open boxes.

Kits are in, it hasn't been higher than 18 degrees all day. I'm tempted to bring the rabbits, dogs and chickens in.

Brrrrr.I hate cleaning pans but I am thankful for the indoor set up I have when the temps have plunged. They are still in an unheated barn but they are much warmer than if outside. I can't imagine the temps you guys in Canada and the Midwest have to deal with.

18F is still nice and warm here. I was shocked we hit 22 in Jan. I would go fishing but I no long have a vehicle poles woudl fit in.

I worry about the livestock when we get to 0. Chickens really don't care. My standards would stand in the door way with full wind when it was -30F before windchill. The bantams were a little more concerned and preferred to huddle up in the subzero temps but even the seramas, known to be sensitive and rarely bred in cold climates, suffered no more than some minor frostbite that required dubbing their combs. Chickens would be the last thing I'd worry about. which is good since most people don't want a whole flock in their house. Not that I haven't kept pairs or trios of bantams as indoor pets before.

Ha, I brought in two more does today, Jack! If I could bring my remaining 5 in with these temps, I would, but I am plumb out of cages. The last two are in large carriers and are going to have to get floor time to stretch their legs!

Your shed sounds much nicer than mine. Insulation makes a lot of difference!

If it dies above 0F here I consider it culling including litters. If the doe can't raise them in our temps then she's not raising anymore here. I don't need 40 something rabbits in the house if it hits -30F and -30F in a building is still much worse than 0F outside. My mini rex line has gotten pretty durable to being shoved out in the cold during the fall or spring since we like to have a litter in the house to play with and then raise them up outside. I don't do it to them in midwinter or summer but the first generation had problems going from 70F inside to 60F outside and the current generation doesn't blink at 30-40F outside. It's all what you cull and breeding for.

Oh, well I forgot to plug in the shed this morning after I unplugged the car (block heater)
It's crusted the water but the bottles aren't frozen solid, says something about the value of those foam pannels, kinda wish I could put the plastic back over the top, but I had to put the roof BACK ON (remember those little winds we got, 119 on the hillside? right, well It was only 70-80 at my house, yeah...)
well I have 2x4's nailed to my framing to get around cause it's fiberglass. and that means the 6mil is under the 2x4 bunched up, you can see the hoar frost were I'm leaking.

Akane, I'm totally with you on breeding for durability! It is shocking how much better my lone satin is doing this winter than my Thriantas. I definitely am seeing where my weaknesses are in that department. All of my bucks (except one who had his face trimmed by a cage neighbor and seemed to be getting frostbite!) are outside, and the ones that are maintaining best will be my primary herd bucks this next season—color and type be damned!

akane":2wwie2md said:
18F is still nice and warm here. I was shocked we hit 22 in Jan. I would go fishing but I no long have a vehicle poles woudl fit in.

I worry about the livestock when we get to 0. Chickens really don't care. My standards would stand in the door way with full wind when it was -30F before windchill. The bantams were a little more concerned and preferred to huddle up in the subzero temps but even the seramas, known to be sensitive and rarely bred in cold climates, suffered no more than some minor frostbite that required dubbing their combs. Chickens would be the last thing I'd worry about. which is good since most people don't want a whole flock in their house. Not that I haven't kept pairs or trios of bantams as indoor pets before.

The bantams are sandwiched between the Barred Rocks. They don't seem to mind but I sure hate trying to water and feed. My fingers freeze before I close the door. I imagine it's double cold in the Plain States.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 am __________<br /><br />
PulpFaction":2wwie2md said:
Akane, I'm totally with you on breeding for durability! It is shocking how much better my lone satin is doing this winter than my Thriantas. I definitely am seeing where my weaknesses are in that department. All of my bucks (except one who had his face trimmed by a cage neighbor and seemed to be getting frostbite!) are outside, and the ones that are maintaining best will be my primary herd bucks this next season—color and type be damned!

True. In my case, they are in an unheated barn. And even though water is freezing in there, it's still quite warmer than outside. It's more for my piece of mind and convenience than for them. I've seen picts of dogs outside in kennels in a foot of snow, and the dogs are on top of their houses, or laying outside of the house. They are much more hardly than we give them credit for. I am concerned about first time mom and her crazy antics. It wouldn't make any difference what the temps were, she not allowed to be alone with this litter.

I'm SOOOOOOO thankful not to have to be dealing with the cold this winter! I'm sure the buns can take it, but *I* don't want to do it anymore! And here we won't get as hot in the summer as we did in our old place, either. The big question mark will be the combo of heat and humidity this coming summer.

Actually, my buns are getting more cold weather than they did before, because they're outside in a makeshift "shed" of lattice-work and plastic sheeting (with particle-board siding for a roof) instead of in a well-insulated garage that never got below 40 or above 80. We've hit the high 20s in the last few days. That's cold enough for me, thanks.

I was concerned about the cold here, it's been frozen every morning for weeks. I have an outside colony, so I put my arm down one of the burrows and it was very toasty in there. The does block off the entrance to keep the temp regulated. For the hutch bunns, I put down feed bags and carpet squares to keep them warmer. The carpet squares can be easily rinsed off and feed bags in the trash after they've been peed on.

i normally let them fend for themselves... but polish has 1-5 kits per litter. It takes very little to kill them off in the winter.. so yeah, I will normally bring kits in until they are furred. I made a "not normal of me' decision to bring these two does in. Dusty gives two kits per litter, Betty has failed in her first three breedings... this is indeed her last chance to be productive. So since she's a show type bunny I will give her the best chance I have to prove her reproductive abilities. This is her "third" kick at the can as I give them a pass on their first time out.

So far we have pulled fur, no kits.

We've been really blessed so far, I haven't had a frozen bottle yet. The coldest it has been has been around 5, I think? I can't remember now. The nights are around 20 this week and it's stayed about 45 in the bunny barn. Normally warm enough to not see breath. As long as it's sunny during the day we should be good.

I have a light in the chicken house. My bantam Salmon Faverolle rooster has a comb that would be easy to frostbite. Otherwise they are pretty cold hardy.

My buck seems to really like the cold, he could huddle against the back wall of his cage, but prefers to hang out against the front wire all the time.

As soon as I get another cage worked out my seven week old's are moving into it, they huddle in pairs of a night. We had 9F this weekend. They are calling for 60+ for this coming weekend!
Good old Southern Indiana.

we have the other one kindling as I write... woot woot!... praying that she has a successful litter... oh please... I want a successful litter...

-Rolls around in warm sunshine and warmth- 70 degrees there tomorow is the high. Jealous much? :p :lol: :lol:

Good luck on the popples! Fingers, toes, eyes, arms, crossed! :clover: :clover: :clover:

Latest posts

Back