Breeds That Show Well

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B2BRabbitry

Reaction score
I breed New Zealand Red and Fawn rabbits, which are great for the meat we need, and we're starting to learn to tan. I've recently , also, gotten into showing, but in my area NZ Reds aren't very competitive and Fawns aren't recognized by the ARBA. So I am considering taking on another breed for showing, but they have to do something else.

Summers get hot, so I don't want long hair, they will be living outside. I would consider another meat rabbit, but will try other avenues first. Any opinions on good show rabbits that have other uses?

Do you want something insanely competitive, something small or medium sized? Something you can process for meat, or something that would sell as a pet?

I would take a GOOD look at Satins!
They are very competitive, beautiful,
come in a variety of colors and are an
excellent breed for either Meat, Pet or Show.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I would suggest going to the ARBA site listing shows in your area and contact the Show Secretaries and ask what meat breeds are most common in your area. They may also be able to forward your contact information to breeders that have rabbits that may interest you.

I raise Rex for show and meat, and though they are not very popular in my immediate area, they are beautiful animals and come in a wide range of colors. I have also recently acquired some Satins, and they are meat BRICKS!

Large breeds as a whole do not do well here in Florida heat. They do ok to intermediate weight but then take 10-11 months to make Sr weight, even on 18% feed. Silver Fox and CDA show well and have a good following and a fair share of Californians show here. Satins generally are not shown here neither are Rex. New Zealands, of any variety are a rare find to on the show table. My personal opinion I think a Silver Marten or a breed in the 7-9 pound range would do really well down here.

I like the Rex better than the Satin, simply for the size. And I love the colors they come in (lots). But then I was looking at the Silver Martin, and they come in some pretty colors. I like the Chinchilla, but at this point I'm captivated by color, lol.

I'll have to do some reading on breeding, and discuss things further with DH. Thanks everyone!

Back