Breeds that produce peanuts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
I am working on a little section of my website which will have pictures and information about peanuts.

Which breeds are true dwarf breeds and can thus throw peanuts???

So far, my list is thus:
Holland Lop
Mini Rex
Netherland Dwarf

Kyle, would you or someone else be kind enough to post some pictures of peanuts? I'm curious to see what they look like in comparison to the rest of the litter.

I have several photos of peanuts I'll be using for the article, I'll upload them momentarily. :) Most are peanut-next-to-normal-kit photos, too which I think helps. :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:48 pm __________<br /><br />OK, here goes...

Peanut kit next to a normal littermate:
1075782_578154402228035_407471971_n_zpsa42bc248.jpg

This is a deceased peanut and a deceased runt. Both littermates, died on the same night. The runt is small but it's body proportions and head shape are normal. Notice the peanut's domed, deformed head...underdeveloped hind legs...and absurdly tiny ears. Some people say that a runt is a peanut...runts are just undersized normal kits. A true peanut has two copies of the dwarf gene:
summer2013-01052_zps8e62eb2e.jpg

Same pair, with a two-dollar coin for size comparison:
summer2013-01054_zps720b003b.jpg

Most peanuts die shortly after being born (I've had two litters of MR and four peanuts between them and they've all passed before the fourth day) but sometimes you get a rare peanut who survives til weaning. These peanuts usually die when weaned, so some people I have talked to believe that they cannot process normal food. This blue peanut belongs to S. Sosa, photos used with permission:
sarasousapeanut02_zpsc9fddd43.jpg

Here's that same blue peanut, next to it's littermate. Same color, same litter, one is a normal and one a peanut. See how different their head shape and ears are...also the peanut is freaking tiny, LOL:
sarasousapeanut_zps68eee5b7.jpg

I'm also going to presume Mini Satin and Britannia Petite have the dwarf gene.

I don't know about Thriantas, though. Hmmm.

most of the true dwarf breeds produce peanuts. Polish ARE NOT supposed to produce peanuts and only do so if netherland dwarf has been introduced into their lines. Polish are large breed rabbits bred down to be small. So aren't true "dwarf" rabbits. But over time people have introduced true dwarf into the breed.

My one and only (currently alive) peanut that has survived almost two weeks. It's starting to nibble things, and the digestive issues are making themselves known. I expect I'll mercy cull by the middle of next week.
Amazing, I've heard that it's very rare for a Peanut to make it past a week

I'm a firm believer in culling peanuts as soon as they are born. I don't think allowing nature to take it's course is the kindest option for these youngsters. (starving to death isn't a good option for me). The only reason this youngster is alive is it was born while I was away. My son didn't think to cull it. So when I got home I started to wonder if maybe it was just a runt.... but the more I watch it, the more I'm convinced it's a peanut and I'm amazed it's still alive.

I am working on a little section of my website which will have pictures and information about peanuts.

Which breeds are true dwarf breeds and can thus throw peanuts???

So far, my list is thus:
Holland Lop
Mini Rex
Netherland Dwarf
Here rex are in 3 sizes : dwarf, mini and standard. Mini is not a dwarf variety.

according too the breed registry here (NL) the ideals are :
standard rex 3 - 4.5 kg
mini rex (kleinrex) 1.7 - 2.75 kg
dwarf rex 1 - 1.6 kg
1kg = 2.2 lbs

Back