Breeds of rabbits to use qustion?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
So I would love to play with the genetics of my commercial new zealand whites. And bring in some new blood, 1 thing is for sure they need to be rew in the end. Im hoping to use other breeds to bring up the over all size of the litters and see if i can get a fryer that grows out quicker. Also would love to get a good friendly rabbit. So i put an add up asking for large breed rabbits anything like Flemish giants or the like that grows big and willing to do some trading. Had a lady write me tell me shes got a pure silver fox buck, also will have lots of mixed mutt babies. Dad is what she calls a vienna mark black and white buck with blue eyes. Moms are a blue flemish mix, a pure silver fox, and a dutch and a mini lop.
I was wondering How the silver foxes mixed with new zealand would do? Would i get some rew kits out of that breeding? Im not sure if the vienna buck is big or not so im not sure if i want a mix flimish mixed baby with his blood line in there.
So what do you guys think? What will get me what i want? I know i will be culling and keeping the best. I would prefer to have does but would use a buck for a few months and re sale him.

Im pretty sureyou wouldnt get any REW first generation, but save babies and breed them back, then save the REW grandbabies and they, bred to a REW should all throw REW, right?

thats my understanding, anyways. I could be wrong.

I would see if there are any American Sables around. When two sables are bred you can get rew and seal, both of which are unshowable colours.If you can luck out and get some rew sables that would probably be the best as a sable has a pretty good grow out and meat to bone ratio.

Thanks Devon's mom i will have a look around and see what i can find. I had someone else offer me a 4 month old doe chestnut Flemish, new zealand white mix. Mom was a chestnut flemish gaint dad was a new zealand. Im almost sure i could get half whites out of her. I know there more bonny but there such a sweet rabbit with big litters. If i could retain those traits i would be happy. Those silver foxs sound great but being dark color it might take a couple of generations to breed that out. And i am limited on cage space. After doing my research on them im almost tempted to give it a try though. Maybe i could buy him and keep him for a few months get 4 good litters out of him then sell him and keep back a kit or 2 from each litter.
How long would it take to get a red eyed white back? For $10 im thinking if anything it will put a little different bloodline in the mix.

REW is an on/off switch--it doesn't mix with other colors, so if you breed to black you could get REW or black, but not gray. This is an over simplification, for the purpose of explaination, there are cases where you could get gray, but it wouldn't come from a blending of the genes for REW and black.

It is recessive, which means if you have a REW then that rabbit has both genes for REW, and their babies will have 1 gene for REW for sure. The other colored parent could carry a REW white gene and you wouldn't necessarily know. It wouldn't take more than two generations to get back to REW and if you breed REW to REW you ALWAYS get REW babies. So ANYTHING you breed to will have the same odds of getting back to REW in 2 generations....And it might happen on the first generation, depending on whether the colored rabbit carries the gene for REW.

I hope that helps...it really sounds more complicated than it is. REW is the simplest color to predict, and the hardest to explain!

Thanks eco2pia.
Looks like the Flemy mix is out of the pic she wants me to give her brother a rabbit and cage this week no money then next week he will drive back down with my cage and my new rabbit. Sorry i cant trust anyone if only she would pay me $10 for my bunny she would get the $10 right back the following week when i get my new bunny.
I got pics of the silver foxes she says the first has more silvering then the second. Im thinking the 2nd has more silvering and the buck is bigger looking and the hips look bigger. If i choose 1 it will i think have to be the 2nd one. Will need to see them in person

Attachments

• SF1.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 990
  • SF11.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 990
  • SF2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 990
  • SF22.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 990
  • both.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 990
I get some heterosis by crossing the varieties of new Zealand. using blacks and whites generally yields blacks and agoutis, kinda depends on the true color of the white parent. I dont have reds but use the blacks, brokens & whites. My broken buck was derived from NZ and Satin, my broken does were derived from Red & White New zealands originally, but way back there had to have been a broken in the pedigree, i suspect it to have been a Checkered giant . I conclude this by now and then a type throwback and the broken pattern as well as they easily hit 11.5 lbs at 7 months.
Environment plays a huge part in how fast a kit finishes out.

Latest posts

Back