Breeding Young

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
I think I remember reading something that breeding rabbits starting at around 4.5 months old has benefits, but can't remember why or where I read it. My does are about that age now and was wondering if it would be worth trying, or if it would be damaging in any way. I figure that in the wild they're reproducing as soon as they can, but I understand it doesn't necessarily make it healthy. Curious to see what you guys think. Also, I apologize for any typos... I'm on my phone at the moment!

It depends on the breed and the line. If you have purebreds you can go by their senior weight. If you have mutts you kind of have to play it by ear. Too early can stunt them and their potential but too late and they are harder to breed, may have packed on some fat around the reproductive organs, smaller litters the same as stunting will do.

I raise commercial NZW's and Californians.
When they reach 5 months, I look real hard at them.
If they've got the weight and appear to be 'ready' to breed,
I'll start them into production.

I've waited 6,7,8 months and have found this line
more difficult to start production. The does will mature
to senior weight while producing youngsters for you.

grumpy.

I've found with my stock that if a doe hasn't had a litter before 7 months she always seems to have small litters.

My production line doe who finally popped at 8 months has never given me more than 5 kits (and usually 3 :( ) in a litter but her 2 daughters who kindled at 6 months consistently produce 9-13!

My show line has never had huge litters (usually 6 to 9) but the late starting does tend to have the smaller litters.

With our smaller "fancy" breeds (Lionhead, Mini Lop, Holland Lop) if I wait much longer than 6 months for them to have their first litter I have noticed they are more likely to not be good Mommas.

From what people are saying,
I could reduce my oversized litter problems by waiting a bit longer to start breeding? Cause that would be cool. I generally start at 7 months, but if waiting 8 or 9 months could mean 4-8 kits instead of the 10-12 I usually get, well, that wouldn't be so bad...

I start trying my young does out around 4.5 to 5 months, I won't hold them for the buck but if they lift on their own, I figure they think they are ready. So far, everyone has continued to grow out just fine reaching good senior weights of 9-11 pounds, depending on breed. Seems like there's more of a danger in waiting too long than in trying too early...

I'm finding that was the case with my SF does, these girls were about ten months when I bred them and I've ended up flipping one doe and making her feed her litter. This morning she spazzed and I've got a kit who's going to have a long scar, belly button to the top of the hip. If she doesn't settle I'm going to breed her wice more and cull her. High maintenance is not a trait I'm willing to deal with.

Well, figured I'd give it a go and see what happens and, well, after a lap or two around the cage Sir Stewart (my mini rex Magpie) pounced her and did the deed complete with tuck and roll. After the first time, she lifted for him three more times without any argument. *shrugs* I'm hoping she'll be a good mom (her mom, Kitty, produces enough milk to feed a massive rabbit army) . She just has the most precious personality and she's a lightly marked fawn magpie so I'm curious to see what we end up with.

Latest posts

Back