Breeding woes Doezilla !!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beach Bunny

Reaction score
OK so we bred Ginger on April 5th well it was more like try I had to assist because she was not having it and she tried to attack Mandarin a few times! Today I try palpating and I can't feel anything ( have to say she is pretty firm of flesh! ) I know that doesn't mean beans sometimes and if she didn't take we would just try again beginning of May. However I let Ringo out for some exercise and being the ladies man that he desperately wants to be he decided to check out Gingers hutch .Well if there was no wire she would have killed him!! She went completely crazy slamming into the hutch and trying to box/bite him. So now i'm a bit worried that if she didn't take and we try to bred her again she may try and kill our bucks??? Ginger is very sweet to us we can flip her and she will cuddle with you as well. I'm at my wits end her because it took us almost 3 years to get a Doe that would not try to kill us or look like a mini NZR instead of a Thrianta. Should I be worried about the safety of the bucks and keep looking or is this an often normal thing with Does ?

Does are very territorial, so Gingerzilla's behavior protecting her space is perfectly normal. I would never attempt a breeding in her cage- with any doe you always want to take her to the buck.

Keep trying to palpate over the next few days. You want her to be as relaxed as possible, so maybe spend some time just petting her for a bit, and gently massaging/palpating her belly until she loosens up.

I hope she is prego! Can't wait to see your little red popples! :p

MamaSheepdog":3e52opze said:
You want her to be as relaxed as possible, so maybe spend some time just petting her for a bit, and gently massaging/palpating her belly until she loosens up.

yes, I noticed that if I am relaxed the rabbit/s are more relaxed.

I palpated my doe day 15 (first time) and felt the babies, I think it easy, the babies were closer forward than I thought (close to her stomach) so you might just be feeling in the wrong place

I'm going to keep trying with palpating.I did let her run around and binky it up before I attempted anything or else she would not sit still.Maybe bribe her with some banana...

I figured she was being possessive over her space but Ringo is just a poor twitter painted fool haha. When we bred her we decided to table breed because if something went wrong i would be right there.We went to a neutral spot and put Mandarin down first so he could scent up the joint but she still tried to attack him a few times.We had a a couple mini rex litters last year and they were very much into it I hope Ginger took or at least starts feeling the love towards the bucks .

You should always be there no matter where they breed.
If not, you are plainly gambling and unless your doe is a bit of a hussy, I'd bet they aren't preggers.

I would never just toss two rabbits together and walk away.It's just easier for me to grab them if they are on a table then if they were in the hutch.If Ginger is not willing to breed I may just have to go searching for another new Doe :(

Thank you everyone...I've actually read that thread before and it's very good. The pictures are very helpful. In fact i used it before we bred her and she was in fact dark pink and swollen looking.I'm thinking of trying the tea for her too if she doesn't have babies. I just tried palpating again and still nothing. I will give her a box when it comes closer to the "due" date but i'm not expecting much. Maybe she just needs a bit more time to get used to her location.

Latest posts

Back