Breeding w/sore hocks... Third strike

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
My crazy Moona.
She is still here because she is gorgeous, I went a long way for her and I paid for her :lol:
She is pedigreed Rex, stunning broken black.
BUT
She is terribly nasty and aggressive.
She has been bred twice/missed both times.
And she is in her second bout of sore hocks, much more serious this time. :angry:

I *know* many cull for less.
If she were a mutt she'd be gone.
I can't give up hoping I could get a typey daughter or two out of her that *might* leave the bad stuff behind, at least it would be a chance.

I'm treating her feet.
Would it be harder on her/ more pain or anything re. The sore hocks to breed her?

I'm thinking to breed her, and *if* she kindles, give the babes to a foster mom and then cull her. Because, really, it is time.

Miss M had a doe with chronic sore hocks, I believe, and kept her comfortable by putting toddler socks on her to protect her feet. (It also resulted in some of the cutest bunny pictures I have ever seen, although that's not really relevant.) That may be a big help, along with antibiotic creme, a resting board, extra straw for padding, etc. at least until you get your next litter. I'll search and see if I can find it....
Here we go:
workaround-for-sore-hocks-t21237.html

Lots of other suggestions on how to relieve sore hocks until you can move on to next steps.

Thank you!
I think I r of us would die in the struggle if I tried to put socks on this one!

She has a basket of thick shavings to sit in and a drywall/gyproc resting board. I have been coating her with bag balm but will up that to something stronger.

I just don't want her to have increased suffering with pregnancy (if she even takes-- I think she is just too contrary to kindle!) LOL

I wouldn't breed her until the sore hocks was cleared up.

Heavier rabbits tend to have more issues with sore hocks and she will put on weight during pregnancy and that added weight will complicate the sore hocks.

Maybe try something soft for a resting area instead of a rigid surface.

Thanks! That is my worry :(
She spends most of her time in the basket of shavings now, nice and soft and clearly feels better in there.

I would contact the breeder, describe your problems and see if he or she will refund or replace the rabbit.
If not, I'd freezer camp the nasty, unhealthy, and hard-to-breed doe and never buy from said breeder again.

I strongly recommend against breeding any animal who is not in prime health.
Added weight to sore hocks would definitely add to suffering. Pregnancy also causes a lot of stress to the immune system, making a bad infection more likely.

The recurrent sore hocks suggests that by breeding her, you will very likely produce more ill-tempered rabbits prone to sore hocks.
In other words, setting yourself up for the same difficult situation in the future, but with several more animals you raised from kits.

I have freezer camped rabbits I drove 6 hours, and paid 50+ dollar for. I very nearly freezer camped a buck I drive 10 hours, and paid $100. His original breeder took a hand in re-homing him (refunding me, in a way,) I made very sure the new buyer knew why I didn't want him. ;)

TF3":b10olikr said:
Thanks! That is my worry :(
She spends most of her time in the basket of shavings now, nice and soft and clearly feels better in there.
I had this problem with a Flemish Giant doe I bred. I lined the entire hutch (solid bottom) with shavings and then covered it with straw to keep her clean. Painted her feet with Blu-Kote every couple weeks for months and finally cleared it up. :x

I suspect that something other than narrow bones or poor fur may be involved in some cases of sore hocks, because I have seen cases in both Rex and Satins. In fact, a friend of mine who raises Satins had a real problem one year when she had to run misters- we think the dampness may have allowed some fungus or bacteria to flourish.

If you catch it early enough and clean the sore(s) with Betadine and also clean the cage floor with Betadine, you may be able to cure it. I have used Blu-kote as well, but had the most success with a mixture of raw honey and sea salt.

MamaSheepdog":365vqi6q said:
had the most success with a mixture of raw honey and sea salt.
danke.gif
Never heard of that one before.

Homer":d9u79rcy said:
MamaSheepdog":d9u79rcy said:
had the most success with a mixture of raw honey and sea salt.
danke.gif
Never heard of that one before.

Sometimes desperation spawns inspiration. ;)

After trying all kinds of things with no improvement, I concocted this remedy. I just looked at the jar, and it also has ACV in it.

Recipe:

Approximately 2 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt

Heat honey prior to adding salt and mix well so salt dissolves, then add ACV and mix well.

MamaSheepdog":1pijapnu said:
I suspect that something other than narrow bones or poor fur may be involved in some cases of sore hocks, because I have seen cases in both Rex and Satins. In fact, a friend of mine who raises Satins had a real problem one year when she had to run misters- we think the dampness may have allowed some fungus or bacteria to flourish.

If you catch it early enough and clean the sore(s) with Betadine and also clean the cage floor with Betadine, you may be able to cure it. I have used Blu-kote as well, but had the most success with a mixture of raw honey and sea salt.
What other kinds of salt would work? And how do you keep them from licking it off!!! :? :evil:

Oscar":26izd4id said:
What other kinds of salt would work? And how do you keep them from licking it off!!!

Any non iodized salt- kosher salt or canning salt. I never saw them licking it, but it wont hurt them if they do.

Back