Breeding Tri-colour mini rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:popcorn: This is my future breed/ variety of interest so I better watch this thread!

Hi
We have a couple we are going to use first then probably move them. Keep in touch and will let you know. That bucks full sister is a broken blue, she has a BOSV leg, I just bred her to a super nice black. ( my son will start showing him now too, fingers crossed for legs) :) I am eager to see if she carries it or not. I will prob cross those babies back to Her brother and see if it draws anything out or to a Harlie? I guess I should have done her to a Harlie but I really like this black buck so what the heck. They should be nice anyway. It is really like Christmas with them! ;) you never really know what you are going to get. Lol. We have blacks n blues ( solids n brokens) that we show too and if we mix any lines with the tri's they go specifically to our tri program. Since they will be carriers. We have a couple nice tri charlies who will help a lot as well. Anywho keep in touch!
Ttyl
Angela<br /><br />__________ Wed May 02, 2012 7:42 am __________<br /><br />
rittert3": said:
:popcorn: This is my future breed/ variety of interest so I better watch this thread![/quote:]

Hi
Super there aren't many working on them to be competitive. I think people get frustrated.
There just aren't many that are as well developed as some of the other colors.
My kids show 4h and have for years so when it was my sons turn and he found something he liked (which is half the battle with kids) lol! I said ok I will help you but you have to learn. Since he likes the " tiger" ones it makes him happy to be more involved. Gives him something to work for having nice tri's.
Take care, keep in touch!

Hi, I was just wondering what colour babies I would be likely to have if I cross a harlequin buck with a blue doe? :bunnyhop:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to conceive!

Last year I bred a grey agouti (what would that be called? Chinchilla?) to a harlequin and got an agouti, a white and a fawn. I bred the fawn to a broken tri this year and got harlequins, fawns and a whole passel of broken tris.

AlanaB5":2gwdt63v said:
Hi, I was just wondering what colour babies I would be likely to have if I cross a harlequin buck with a blue doe? :bunnyhop:
Chestnuts and harliquinized chestnuts (kit on the right)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,022
I am revisiting this thread with a question.

I have two broken tri buns- a doe and a buck.
I have two harlequin buns- a doe and a buck

I am wondering, statistically, what I might get if I breed--

tri x tri
tri x harlequin
harlequin x harlequin

tri x tri
tri x harlequin
harlequin x harlequin

25% solid, 50% broken 25% charlie in harli, fawn and/or tort

50% broken in Harli, fawn and/or tort

100% solid in harli, fawn and/or tort

Depending on the recessives the rabbits carry

Depends on what they carry.

Probability when breeding tri to tri is mostly tris, or brokens. you'll tend to get few solids but it is possible.

Breeding tri to harle will get you tris, harles and whatever is hiding behind them. If they have castor behind them you might be harlequinized castors which just look really really odd.

breeding harle to harle you'll get more solids with some harle markings. Which sounds like harlequin..and often is...but one wee spot on the head does not in my opinion a true harlequin make. :) you'll also get solids in whatever is hiding behind them as well as regular looking harlequins. :)

To extrapolate a little farther... If Harlequin x Blue (or Broken Blue, in my case) makes for chestnuts and harlequinized chestnuts, could those chestnuts then be bred back to harlequin with some chance of correcting the color? I'm thinking maybe, since chestnut carries dominant agouti?

I know that at least one "A" must be present to give the harlequin "ej" something to work on. Torting might be a risk, since the self color lacks an "A" gene and the resulting kits would be "Aa." I know that torted tris and harlequins aren't showable, though I imagine you could breed them back to torts and harles with good markings to correct that in future generations. (Assuming, of course, that the rabbit is correct in every other way. Otherwise, I'd just cull them as pets and move on.)

I'm just trying to think through the process to determine whether I need to find more does. :shock:

If Harlequin x Blue (or Broken Blue, in my case) makes for chestnuts and harlequinized chestnuts, could those chestnuts then be bred back to harlequin with some chance of correcting the color?
Yes, 50% of the kits should be ejej or eje or ee (fawns) depending on what genes the harli parent carries and if you use chestnuts or harli chesnuts as holdbacks

Latest posts

Back