Breeding Tri-colour mini rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been told the best tri-colours are tris that are bred to tris. Which kinda makes sense to me. But what if you don't have that, OR what you have isn't the best that you'd want?

BUT can one take a tri-colour buck and breed it to a broken black and get tri-colours?

Or a broken black buck and breed it to a tri-colour doe and tris?

or what about broken chocolate or broken blue?

and how would harlequins fit into the equation?

MY goal is to eventually breed blue/fawn tricolour mini rex.

You can also breed tri-colours to harlequins :)

I bred a harlequin buck to a broken chestnut and got tri's. So its worth a try if you dont have anything else.

BUT - always remember - dont breed for colour, breed for type :) Dont buy somthing for colour, buy it for type :)

You can breed tris to selfs easily. My best tri colour came out of a mediocre tri, and a broken black :) If you only breed tri to tri you run the huge risk of getting charlies because a tri colour is basically just a broken harlequin.

Yes tri colors are just broken harlequins, thats why its good to have a few harlequins in your barn even if their not showable. Lets break it down- a black/orange tri is a castor, a blue/fawn tri is an opal, a chocolate/orange tri is an amber and a lilac/fawn tri is a lynx. Harlequin is a recessive, both rabbits have to express or carry it to get it except in one instance, harlequin is dominant over non-extension, so if you bred a tri to a fawn you would get harlequins and tri's. I know this because I bred a fawn to a harlequin and got an entire litter of harlequins. If I was going to do tri's I would breed heavily marked tri's together to attempt to get the best markings. Whatever charlies I got would go to the pet market. To get blue fawns I'd breed broken opal or blue otters to the tri and then the littermates to each other. That way they carry both harlequin and dilute and hopefully you'll get your blue/fawn tri's. You can also use otters, I've been told that the best harlequins are otters/martens as opposed to agouti based. My magpie Harlequin is a genetic silver marten. I know that you breed harlequins and probably know most of this but I hope I helped a bit.

honorine... thank you. I'm still learning this stuff :)

I never had the colours explained like that. thanks...makes sense to me a bit more. so I should be able to use say...a broken chocolate otter in a tri program to get chocolate orange tricolours? now THAT would be just fun! :) OR a broken blue otter to get blue/fawn tris...lovely lovely. Lets me know better what type of buck I want to find.

A typey buck in blue/chocolate otter or an broken opal. Fun fun! :)

Yup you can use a broken chocolate otter as your initial cross to your tri, you'd be able to find a nice chocolate otter far easier than you would an amber, I don't think I've even ever seen an Amber Mini Rex in real life. Such a cross would give you the genes that you needed to create your second generation. Most likely in your first gen you'd get castors and broken casters, and broken/black otters, maybe dilutes(opals/blue otters) if they both carried dilute, that would work in your favor too. As for charlies well a good one thats a true charlie could really move your program forward. Charlies are the double merles of the rabbit world, they have a double dose of the white factoring gene, meaning if you breed one to a solid colored rabbit you should get all brokens. In your case that could mean mostly all tri colors, if the genes needed are present. Say you have a tri charlie or even a castor charlie carrying harlequin, cross it to a solid harlequin rabbit and you have a good chance of getting all or mostly tri's. Good way to stack the odds in your favor!!

Hi,
Can you breed a harlequin to a tri color? Would you get all tri colors?
Thank you!
Angela

you'd get a mixed bag... harle's, tricolours, brokens in whatever colours are in them. I find usually half are tris.

A harlequin(solid)XTri(broken) would get you all tri's or harlies. Both parents have the ej gene to pass on, so you would get what ever random number of brokens and solids came in the litter plus dilutes if the parents carried that. Its the same as breeding two Harlequins (the breed) together, you get an entire litter of harlequins (solids).

I've also gotten when breeding a harle HL to a tri HL . mostly tris and harle's, but also broken fawn/orange. This week I got a surprise with a magpie in a litter. Go figure. :)

To get chocolate orange tri's you use what?
We have blue/ fawn tri colors now. We have harlequin babies now.
We have a color litters due and will rebreed our black doe as she had a black orange Harlie last time.
So do I need a chocolate? Or chocolate otter? To get chocolate orange tri's?
I wonder if the chocolate otter would make the babies have to light bellies but spots on top?
Thanks!
Angela

__________ Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:32 pm __________

To get chocolate orange tri's you use what?
We have blue/ fawn tri colors now. We have harlequin babies now.
We have a color litters due and will rebreed our black doe as she had a black orange Harlie last time.
So do I need a chocolate? Or chocolate otter? To get chocolate orange tri's?
I wonder if the chocolate otter would make the babies have to light bellies but spots on top?
Thanks!
Angela<br /><br />__________ Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:31 pm __________<br /><br />And do I need a caster to make black orange tri's? I have seen those made with blacks and was told never use caster because of the Rufus ring.. Suggestions?

I am not sure if both parents are tri colors (tri colors are brokens)if you can get a solid, I think genetically you can't. You will get charlies and harlequins. Harlequins are not showable. Not sure how the opal came from 2 tri color parents. ? Something not right there.

countryhorse":254zd6dy said:
Not sure how the opal came from 2 tri color parents. ? Something not right there.

2 broken rabbits average 50% broken kits, 25% solid & 25% charlies. So they could have a solid kit, but because they cannot carry E [full extension] you are right, they couldn't have opal kits. It would be either harlequin , red/orange, or tortoise shell.

Thats right. I been doing to much breeding thinking. Lol! Thanks!
Maybe it depends on what color tri the parents are? Lilac/fawn? Blue/fawn?

countryhorse":2mvr06gd said:
I am not sure if both parents are tri colors (tri colors are brokens)if you can get a solid, I think genetically you can't. You will get charlies and harlequins. Harlequins are not showable. Not sure how the opal came from 2 tri color parents. ? Something not right there.

No I didn't say that both parents are tri, just that it comes from tri parents. I'm not sure if either are tri, or just tri carriers, but since the agouti gene is used to breed with tris, it's possible to get an opal from one castor parent and one tri parent if both carry dilute, and the opal will then be a tri carrier. Which is why I perked up when harlequins were mentioned. It would be nice to have a harlequin to breed to the opal (it's a booted opal).<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:27 pm __________<br /><br />I checked the website, mom is a tri color and dad is a castor
dam {AaBbC_Ddejej} choc & dilute carrier, homozygous ej

sire {AAB_C_D_E_} so the breeder discovered he carries dilute too, because there are lynx, opal and castors in the litter, mostly booted.

skysthelimit":zxkz3rkd said:
Harlequins? That sounds cool. I am getting an opal from tri parents soon.

Hi
Ok
I was confused then from your original post here, sorry :)
Tris are so few and far between it's interesting to learn more about them.
We were told not to use caster in tri's because of their Rufus ring. ? not sure what it does to them as far as showing would be concerned.
We don't do casters anyway so I was glad to not have to add another rabbit color :) lol!
Best of luck with the opal. They are pretty.

From what I've read, tri colors are supposed to be agouti.
http://gardenshedbunnies.weebly.com/bre ... olors.html
The agouti gene (A) is important. Tricolors are suppose to be agouti. You can breed out to most agoutis (except those that carry the chinchilla gene). Your genetics will be messed up because of the "E" gene, but at least your offspring should be agoutis that carry tricolor recessively. Selfs (blacks, blues, chocolates, etc.) generally have good body type. If you breed to selfs, you have a lot of work to do to recover the tricolor gene. Selfs carry "aa" and the "E" gene. The only way to get tricolors out of a self to tricolor breeding is if your tricolor is homozygous (AA) and your self carries "Ee". Then the agouti gene can dominate over the self genes and the tricolor gene has a chance of dominating over the little "e" gene. Otherwise you will end up with castors or opals who carry tricolor recessively. Please keep in mind when breeding to a self that your agouti kits will carry self recessively (Aa). If bred to another tricolor who carries "Aa", the recessive "a" genes could match up and give you torted tricolors.

This is good for me, because I love agouti, and have agouti Rex and mini rex.

Thanks for the info. We don't have any torted tri's, we try to stay away from that, it's a DQ on show table if judge catches.. We have quite a few coming along pretty nicely, ( like our buck who received the BOB,BOV, and BIS over 59, pretty unheard of for a tri color :) we have quite a few litters from him as well out of nice does with legs too so its moving along nicely, we would like to try for a chocolate orange. They should be pretty. Thanks<br /><br />__________ Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm __________<br /><br />She has a great website, I have emailed her before for info. Thanks :)

countryhorse":30ifb623 said:
Thanks for the info. We don't have any torted tri's, we try to stay away from that, it's a DQ on show table if judge catches.. We have quite a few coming along pretty nicely, ( like our buck who received the BOB,BOV, and BIS over 59, pretty unheard of for a tri color :) we have quite a few litters from him as well out of nice does with legs too so its moving along nicely, we would like to try for a chocolate orange. They should be pretty. Thanks

__________ Tue May 01, 2012 3:56 pm __________

She has a great website, I have emailed her before for info. Thanks :)

Do you have any harlies? That would solve my dilemma.

Latest posts

Back