Breeding Rex REWs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I have one REW doe, Flurry, and I now have a young REW buck. According to the color crossing rules for mini-rex, (http://mr-colors.tripod.com/) you should breed REW to REW or risk scattered white hairs and white toenails for many generations. Since REW may mask the broken gene you can also breed to a broken, which is what I did with Flurry and got broken kits.

Since REW is just masking colors, if you breed REW to REW will you get a nestbox full of surprises? Or is REW dominant and you would get all REWs?

MamaSheepdog":8lk69bsl said:
I have one REW doe, Flurry, and I now have a young REW buck. According to the color crossing rules for mini-rex, (http://mr-colors.tripod.com/) you should breed REW to REW or risk scattered white hairs and white toenails for many generations. Since REW may mask the broken gene you can also breed to a broken, which is what I did with Flurry and got broken kits.

Since REW is just masking colors, if you breed REW to REW will you get a nestbox full of surprises? Or is REW dominant and you would get all REWs?

REW to REW would get all REW. I have lots of REW bred into my lines, and only have scattered hairs on the one broken black, Elmo, my herd sire. It's a risk but in absence of compatible colors, REW is you best bet. For instance, my chin is bred to a REW because I have no other compatable colors. I didn't want broken chins; Elmo also carries dilute, which I didn't want in the chins. It was also possible that the chin carried chld, and could produce a sable, and that would only happen with a c gene.

more than half of my herd carries REW, except Fava, Elmo, Poofy. It is not my favorite "color" but my best rabbits seem to be the REW's.

The problem is when you don't know what the REW might have, and you breed him to agoutis or otters.

http://www.amysrabbitranch.com/Color%26 ... s-List.pdf

Rew has nothing to do with scattered hairs.. REW means Albino and the white isn't white its actually "colourless". There is a difference between the white in brokens and the white of REW> Rabbits do not inherit "some" rewness they either carry it as a recessive or they are full blown albino. Two albinos do not have the genes to produce colour... however they do carry a full colour code. Yes they can be hiding anything that is produced in all rabbit-hood! Scattered white hairs is something else altogether, it could be coming from random gene mutations or from the vienna gene or Dutch gene or some crazy silvering gene even. It does seem to run in lines and when this happens its better to breed those to brokens or rews....which is probably why the rew gets blamed for everything! lol:) REW "could" also carry this annoying trait as well, (but not a given!) Sometimes the scattered whites are actually from scars, the doe may have injured the kit when it was born as well > We currently have two like that!

Back