Breeding questions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracie123

Reaction score
I have 4 californis does 7months old and 1 that is 10 months old, the 10month old business is a dark red / purple color and thr 7 months olds are dark red, I have 2 bucks that are 7&8 months old, I have tried both buck with the 10 m.old doe and she wont let them service her she runs and back up to the back of the cage, I was told to give her wheat germ oil and wait 3 days and try again, did that and still the same thing. Are the 7 months to young to breed? Any ideals on how to get her breed(10 month) old?
Thanks Tracie

I would just keep trying with the ten month old. Some of mine will race around like maniacs before finally settling down and letting the buck service them.

You can breed the 7 month olds- they are more than ready. Maybe it'll give the ten month old the idea of what to do! :lol:

Sometimes I have held the doe if she is running around.
The person that I got my rabbits from this last time always
"table bred" his rabbits. He used the grooming table and would
sometimes even lift the does rear end by slipping his hand in along under
her belly from the front to make it easier for the buck to service her.
I don't do this, I usually cage breed but some use the table method.

I have also found that getting the does bred before they reach sr. weight and age
seems to actually make for better life time moms. They don't have a chance to get
fat and starting them out young and keeping them bred and/or nursing seems to
be what healthy rabbits do best :lol:

From everything I read 7 months seems a bit old for a first breeding, not that you can't do it. Maybe she just doesn't know what to do and needs the help. I would absolutely breed the 7 month old girls though.

I'm having the same problem at the opposite end of the age spectrum. The doe runs madly about the cage, then clamps her rear to the floor so the buck can't gain the required access. She does this while loudly grunting and growling continuously. Then she puts her head in a corner, rear end clamped firmly to the floor, and refuses to budge.

She's three and a half years old. I was doubtful about such an aged doe, but oh, the bloodline. I had not heard of 'table breeding' before, I'll try that.

What's the oldest any of you have had a doe kindle? Also, while we're on the subject of breeding and age, what's the youngest any of you has had a buck successfully produce young?

Had a three year old holland kindle, Sadly the kit died at 12 weeks. She never had a live kit again, thought she got pregnant every time but the last. When I culled her, and opened her up, you would not believe the amount of fat in that body. She had five tries, so good luck with yours.

I've never had a buck sire a litter before 6 mos, but I don't get testicles before then. If he's got his pieces, I'd let him joint the party.

I've never had a doe conceive before 5 1/2 months. I have some 4 1/2 month olds that the color is right, but they aren't the least bit interested. And one that was interested didn't take the first time. For the most part, I've always been told to breed my animals at 7-8 months for medium breeds. Put them on the show table as jrs and srs a couple of times, and unless I plan on not getting many babies from them, I'd better get them bred by 7-8 mos.

I have held the hollands, on every breeding except one. None of them have ever lifted. They do always get pregnant, despite what the information says about force breeding. The problem is the buck must be willing. One Rex buck I have is not aggressive enough to try to breed with my hand in the cage. Definitely not going to happen if I take them out. It seems that the act of moving the doe from the cage to place in the bucks cage makes her too testy to mate in some instances. Or she spends a lot of time looking around, which is what my youngsters do. I do not remove my rabbits from the cage frequently, just for routine check ups once a month.

They just don't know what's going on.
They will eventually get it. You can try force breeding and after the first litter born from it, they usually change their minds and are easier after.

Well I breed 2 of the 7 months califorinas this morning and boy they were VERY ready,lifted there hindend and the buck serviced them both twice and let out a growl and fell on his side. I guess this is the 1st time that hes has really breed anything. Then i put the 10 month old in with him and nothing but running around but then he got her but didnt do like he did the other 2, when he mounts her she does a cry sound so dont know whats going on there. May give her to a friend and see if he has any luck with her.

Latest posts

Back