Breeding Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Last month I tried mating my champagne D'Argent rabbits. (I'm new at this.)

1.) A month ago, I put the Doe in the Bucks cage and not much happened. The next day I tried again. It started off the same way, a little chasing and licking followed by nothing. Then a huge chase with some fur flying and he tried to hump her in the face, on her side, then he seemed to mount her. He looked like he mounted her many times and I thought she was pregnant.
The following week, I put my other Doe in there and it was a two day repeat of the week before. One month later... Nothing.

2.) Today, I put the first one in and just like the month before, a little chase and licking followed by nothing.

3.) I took my NZ Red Doe and put her in my NZ Red Bucks cage and the same thing happened... Nothing.

Is this usual? What am I doing wrong? I am worried about the First buck being sterile now but is it possible he's just inexperienced? :x

Thanks...

Some bucks never get it right but if it happened with two different bucks the doe just wasn't ready. If your setup allows put the buck and doe cages as close as possible. He will start spraying like mad and the smell may get her in the mood. That's what spraying is all about. He's advertising. Watch the doe and see if she starts showing a lot of interest in him like scratching at the cage in his direction. Put her in when she seems in the mood. I find that early morning, before full daylight if possible, is a good time to try. Rabbits are most active in the period between full dark and full daylight (The twilight zone if you will)

There are some telltale signs that the buck has "finished" and successfully bred the doe. Usually he will make a grunt or a squeal, his ears may flop, and he'll fall off the back or side of the doe. Unless he finishes, he didn't breed her. He just humped her, which won't make anything except a mess-covered doe.

Bucks may also be twitchy for several minutes after the deed.
You may have to pin the does down and have their tails up for a few breedings. That way he gets experience, confidence and you get a litter. I had to do that for my buck, he was young and had little idea because the doe was a nut. But once he was able to get it done right, he got a lot better at it and the much needed confidence.

Yes, in most cases the buck will fall off sideways or backwards if he is successful. He will often grunt, sometimes squeal, and usually look a bit stunned for a couple of seconds. Then he will hop up, ready to go again. It sounds to me as though the does were not receptive and did not lift their hindquarters to allow the buck proper access. If he can't finish the job, the doe cannot be considered bred.

Consider increasing the Vitamin A and Vitamin E in their diets for a few weeks. A handful of parsley or other dark, leafy greens and a tablespoon of sunflower seeds can do wonders, if the lack of interest is due to dietary deficiencies. Processed feed is "complete" but these two vital vitamins are both vulnerable to heat and shelf time. If your rabbits are not accustomed to anything but pellets, go slowly and phase the supplements in. Sudden changes in diet can cause problems.

Back