Breeding Plans and Pedigrees - How do you keep track?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyTinker

Reaction score
I think about all the traits possible and how you have to see the offspring to be sure of what genes the parents have... How to keep good track of it all?

Is there a software program or website that provides for this?

Evans is the best if you want a software to keep track of it. I do mines by hand just because...

Wow, thanks for the tip on Evans!

Anything else like that out there? Anything more modern/web based?

Ped2Web.com
BunnyBookkeeper.com
GlobalPedigree.com

There is also Kintraks and Cunitec for desktop based use.

Ped2web just announced a major price drop in their service. I like having my records stored on a cloud based server that is always backed up. Even if my computer crashed I know my records are still there on their site.

I believe that your best bet would be to
purchase Evans Rabbit register program.
It makes everything simple and keeps accurate
records if you pay attention to the tasks at hand.
i wouldn't be without my Evans program.
Go the extra few bucks and get the Deluxe Edition.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":zr942y73 said:
I believe that your best bet would be to
purchase Evans Rabbit register program.
It makes everything simple and keeps accurate
records if you pay attention to the tasks at hand.
i wouldn't be without my Evans program.
Go the extra few bucks and get the Deluxe Edition.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

:yeahthat:

I agree with everyone who said Evans Deluxe Edition. I have the free version of Kintraks, and it's plenty sufficient for what I do, but it can't compare with Evans, especially if you want to know color genetics and stuff like that.

I haven't found a good calculator on-line yet. There are just too many variables in rabbit coat colour genetics. I have each of my rabbits genotypes written out so I can then accurately predict most colours and I fill in the blank spots when I get odd colours in a litter.

I am not familiar with the Evans program.

Does it automatically give you a genotype when you type in your rabbits colour? i.e. REW = __ __ cc __ __ __ and if so how does it fill in the blanks?

Does it only do recognized/popular colours? ie would it know what a sallander is?

They have accepted and not accepted colors, exact list I do not have...way too many. They are very helpful, if interested in particular color would email and see I its in the breed list or in the capability of the program to produce/show.

Blanks are filled in by the known offspring color and previous generation color. It will display phenol or geno, depending on how it is selected. You can also fill in your own.

It is on the expensive order though, but well worth it. I use it, am grateful I bought it. Can print out business cards, records (stock, $$, health, and others), plus can make changes easily if there is an error or I need to reprint pedigrees for some one who has lost them. I keep it backed up in 3 different places; 1 on my computer, 1 on a jump drive, and 1 on zip file in an email. I also have a CD burned with just the program and my register key just incase I'd loose absolutely every thing and have to start over. I also keep a printed record (one stored in closet, another in a binder) of pedigrees and other sheets. It might be over kill, but I've suffered loosing every thing to water damage (hard copy only is what I had then) and virus/lightening (computer back up in 2 places).

I used GlobalPedigree.com because it is web-based and I can access my info anywhere. I can't use Evans because I only have an iPad (no laptop).

Global Pedigree also calculates color percentages and relation percentages as well as sends notifications on when to add the nestbox and expected kindle dates.

I LOVE the idea of having the online database...it is a pain to constantly have some thing with me to try to print from and a computer or the file saved, some times it just doesn't work out and then you're stuck. That's one thing I wish they would do....how much does it cost per year? Can you send like pedigrees from Evans to there w/o having to redo them all? That'd be a great back up idea and time saver other wise too for me.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3f4nrf9w said:
I LOVE the idea of having the online database...it is a pain to constantly have some thing with me to try to print from and a computer or the file saved, some times it just doesn't work out and then you're stuck. That's one thing I wish they would do....how much does it cost per year? Can you send like pedigrees from Evans to there w/o having to redo them all? That'd be a great back up idea and time saver other wise too for me.

I don't know if Global Pedigree imports Evans information, but they have a great forum so if you were to ask, they would get back to you in just a few hours. I pay by the month ($2) and I have it linked to my Paypal account (Ped2Web only accepts credit cards which is why I didn't go with them) so that it isn't linked to my bank account for a little more security. I'm sure there's a discount of some sort when signing up for a year subscription.

Dood":176z4j8h said:
Does it automatically give you a genotype when you type in your rabbits colour? i.e. REW = __ __ cc __ __ __ and if so how does it fill in the blanks?

Does it only do recognized/popular colours? ie would it know what a sallander is?

Global Pedigree does.
And Jeremy [owner] is very responsive. when I joined a few months ago he didn't have Amber in the drop down list, just chocolate Agouti [I breed Rex] and he added it as soon as I asked for it.
I am also very happy that it is now backed up and I don't have to worry about computer problems.

A few months ago I had a fatal computer crash and even though I had backup my Kintraks to the "cloud" I was unable to recover the data for several hundred rabbits. That was a major disappointment.

I like that Global Pedigree is building a huge rabbit database that is searchable. It already had over 18,000 rabbits in it.

While the phenotype would be nice to have, I'm more interested in collecting data related to a meat herd (litter size, kit weights from kindle to dispatch, etc.). Does Global Pedigree or any of the others do a good job with this? or, should I just plan to track it on an Excel Spreadsheet?

(I currently am using Homestead Manager but am finding it doesn't have the features I need. I need to switch but am not sure to what. I want to breed to standard but with meat quality being more important.)

Latest posts

Back