Breeding nursing doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny,

here's the deal. About a month and a half ago Rubin, my buck, got into the colony and spent sometime with Nina and Fawn. They were without babies, but I was planning on giving Fawn one more month to rest and then breed them together. But, as you see, they most likely bred and I bred both in the evening the same day, Fawn and Rubin and Nina with another buck. I went to school the next day and my mum accidentally switched them and breed Nina and Rubin and Fawn with other buck. Boy, was that a loud week in our house.

2 weeks ago, the girls kindeled (they shared the nest, is it common thing in colonies?) and had 10 total, but we lost 2 during first few days. So, I have 8 kits with two mums and Petunia, my lionhead-mix is ready to breed. I planned on breeding her with Nina, so they delivere at the same time. Should I do it now? Or, should I give Nina some more time? Could I take Nina away and leave all 8 kits for Fawn to raise or should I simply leave her in the colony while pregnant?

Nina had about 4.5 months break from breeding in between her first litter and this one. Thanks in advance.

With 2 does and only 8 mouths to feed I think you can safely breed Nina now

Back when I had does who had small litters I would re-breed them right away if there were fewer than 6 kits ( unless it was my doe who had poor milk production and could barely feed 6 :) all my other girls could easily feed 8 on their own )

Thanks for help guys. I tried breeding both and both didn't lift. I don't put pressure in breeding my buns, so I'll give them a few days to rest and will try again.

Back