Breeding my VM male Holland Lop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBunny

Reaction score
I just bought a VM male. I have months before I breed, so I am trying to learn all I can on my bunny and breeding prior. If/when I breed what female should I get. My male is vm with full tan coloring and blue eyes. If I want bunnies that are show quality (I know he isn't) what do I breed with him. Does she have to be a BEW? thank you for any advice you can give

BeachBunny":czhbyaz9 said:
I just bought a VM male. I have months before I breed, so I am trying to learn all I can on my bunny and breeding prior. If/when I breed what female should I get. My male is vm with full tan coloring and blue eyes. If I want bunnies that are show quality (I know he isn't) what do I breed with him. Does she have to be a BEW? thank you for any advice you can give

If you know he's not show quality typy need to try to get a doe that is better, unless your want to breed pets.

Are you saying you know he isn't show quality because he is VM? Or because of type?

If it is because of type, honestly, call him a pet and start breeding with something else if you can.

If it is because he is VM and your goal is to breed BEW, then you can either breed to a BEW, a VM, or a VC to get BEW in the first generation. If you know you need more type improvement, you can breed to a better full-color doe that balances his faults in a compatible variety and then breed those offspring back to him to find out which ones may be your vienna carriers (if they aren't VM). If you get full color in showable varieties, you can show them, just be responsible and do not sell possible VC to other breeders without disclosing that they may carry vienna. It helps give you something to show while improving type in your BEWs.

I am not sure what you mean by "full tan coloring". Tan is a pattern of markings in rabbits and can be otter, marten, etc. and possibly in black, blue, chocolate, lilac, shaded varieties.

I will also say that BEWs tend to be a more challenging variety in most breeds. It is harder to find good type animals and you have more offspring that are unshowable due to the VM, then the market for the possible VCs is limited because breeders do not want that in their line if they aren't working towards BEWs. On the other hand, I love BEWs and my son just got his first trio (a VM buck, a BEW doe, and a VC doe) to start his BEW Netherland program.

Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back