Breeding multiple does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does everyone breed multiple does with one buck space it out a couple hours between each doe? All in one go? Curious I've heard 1 buck can do one to 6 a day but what does the process look like

I always stagger mine for my own sanity.

In an ideal world, I breed my oldest most experienced doe first. Wait 1-2 weeks, breed a first timer, wait 1-2 weeks another old reliable, another first timer, like that. in my case I do not have growout space for them all to to have litters at the same time, but if the first time mom struggles I may be able to foster to a more reliable doe. I have one that could likely raise 15 fat babies, I have never had a doe who made so much milk.

Caring for 3-5 litters of 6-9 kits is a lot though, a lot of food, a lot of cages, a lot of poop, a lot of work when it comes time to sell or harvest. So consider your own resources too.

If you have smaller litters, and more space I would at least breed 2 per day so that you are very likely to have age matched litters for foster. I would do an hour or two between buck visits.

Latest posts

Back