Breeding Issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel506

Reaction score
I got three rabbits to use for breeding stock...2 does that are NZ/Californian, and 1 NZ buck, all about 4.5 months. When I met the guy to pick them up, they were very nervous, but I figured it was because they had just been put in a carrier and taken for a car ride to a strange place. Nope. Can't handle any of them. Once they had a few days to settle in, they became totally comfortable with me being around and will hop to the door to greet me and take treats, but any touching is not tolerated.

So, my game plan was to try to get at least one litter out of them, raise up the babies and socialize them, then cull the mama's and use the babies for breeding when they're old enough. I've tried to breed each of the does, and they will not accept the buck. They aren't aggressive to him, but they just run around and around the cage, not letting him mount. I even left him with one of them overnight, and in the morning he was still chasing her in circles.

I think the guy that had them was housing all three of them together. Could they be refusing him because they're already pregnant, or are they just being stubborn? Since I can't handle them, I can't really hold them for the buck or palpate them. Is there any chance of getting a litter out of these guys, or should I just take the loss?

Hello Tarheel506,
It is quite possible that they have already been bred coming from that situation.
You have to take them out and on a flat surface have a good look at them.
You must show them that YOU are in control.
Once you have them out, press their head to the ground/surface.
This is what an ALPHA rabbit/Dam would do to show their dominance.
After a few tries or sessions they will fall under your control/dominance.
Remember that YOU have to be the ALPHA leader of the herd.
Always wear a long sleeve shirt when handling Rabbits,
it will afford you an amount of protection from abstinent individuals.
Don't be afraid of a few scratches, they are the rewards of a GOOD Rabbit
Breeder!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

At 4.5 months old, the buck might not yet be fertile (even if he is willing to try), and the does not quite ready to breed. I often try to start breeding my does at 4.5 months, but if they don't immediately accept the (older than them) buck, I don't push the issue. I just try again a week or two later.

Keep sweet-talking them with treats, but make regular handling a non-negotiable thing. Same thing when breeding does eventually happen - make it a policy that nest boxes will be accessed every day for checks. In my herd, does are allowed a few seconds of crankiness when I first start checking a box, but then they are expected to calm down and munch on a treat while I do what needs to be done. I don't understand why some folks seem to think it's fine to have rabbits that are outright nasty, but it should be a fixable situation with those younger buns. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back