Breeding in heat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Our afternoon highs have been in the low to mid 90s and our overnight lows have been in the low to mid 70s. It'll be another month before our high temps get down below 85. Is it worth it to even try to breed right now (maybe in the morning when it's cooler), or would I just be wasting my time (heat sterility in bucks)? If it's worth the try, are there any other things I can do to improve the odds of a successful breeding?

It doesn't normally get that hot here, but I did breed my year old buck shortly after it hit 95. He bred the doe maybe six times and I called it good. Got 11 kits out of it. :3
Although I did have a pregnant doe go from pregnant to not pregnant, which sucked. :c
I'm still pretty new to this bunny breeding thing though.

I just had 2 does kindle yesterday and today. We have had a record breaking summer. Our temps have been pretty similar to what you are talking about. I wasn't sure if the bucks would be sterile or not. Obviously, they weren't. One doe had 9, the other had 7.

Trinity:

It takes consistently high temps to sterilize a buck.
The older the buck...the quicker they'll go dormant.
I try to keep several young bucks under 7 months old for summer breeding.

You're correct in trying to breed in the early mornings.
For sure...the does are more lively in the a.m.
The same with the bucks. They are lethargic in the evenings.
Your success rate will be a little lower than normal.

More of a concern are the does when they kindle.
If it's super-hot...do all that you can to keep them cool.
It's a fine line you need to walk when breeding in the summer.

Best of luck.

Grumpy.

It's usually not the bucks I worry about. It's losing the does that concerns me.

My breedings cease from mid-May thru mid-October. The weather is just too unpredictable and usually too hot to risk it.

Latest posts

Back