Breeding in heat tolerance?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starsider":19pauo7g said:
Temporary solution- two box fans in a window - one facing in, the other facing out. Keeping a constant exchange of air going is going to help keep it about 10-15 degrees cooler in a closed space like a barn.

I've actually wondered what it would be like to build a barn out of a material like abobe or cinderblock that generally stays cool as long as it's shaded.

I've seen too many reports of box fan fires; I refuse to use them. Besides the way that the cages are stacked would not allow me to put full sized box fans in front of them. I am looking for one of those air exchange industrial fans, but something that is less than $200.

__________ Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:49 pm __________

akane":19pauo7g said:

That would be so cool. If I ever get another place, I have a list of things that I will do to a future barn.

Interesting thoughts here. I just posted in another thread that if I hadn't suspended breeding due to the upcoming move, I'd have suspended it due to the heat.

But those of us who depend on these rabbits for meat need to develop our lines so they will withstand the punishment nature throws at them.

I do believe my mind has been changed. Next summer, I will be breeding through the summer.

Miss M":2ahezz0v said:
But those of us who depend on these rabbits for meat need to develop our lines so they will withstand the punishment nature throws at them.

Exactly my thinking.

I originally became interested in rabbits for the meat. If the rabbits cannot thrive in the climate that I live in they do become somewhat less valuable as a food supply. The logical conclusion for me is to try and develop a more heat tolerant herd.

Latest posts

Back