Breeding help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANSON301

Reaction score
I have been trying to breed my NZW & NZR for the last 4 days.
i put them together, he tries but she runs when ever he mounts.
the male has bread another rabbit, but this is the first time for the doe.
tonight the doe bit the buck pretty good, so i will be keeping them apart for a little while.
do i need a different buck, i am just starting and have only one buck and 2 does.

Before I bother to put a doe in with the buck I always check her vent. If it's pale colored, rather that bright pink/purple, I don't even bother or waste my time trying. I do check them every day when I want to breed them. If they are purple/red then they should be receptive. If they are that color then go ahead and put the doe into the buck's cage. If you still have trouble, some people "table breed" so that they can hold the doe and even "lift" her rear end for the buck. I don't do this but I have watched it done. perhaps if I only had a couple of does and was anxious to get them bred and was having trouble I would try this but that's not my situation so I haven't used this method.

She probably just isn't ready to be bred yet. Does usually attack bucks when they don't want what they have to offer. ;) one trick a lot of breeders use is to check the color of the doe's genitals. Dark red or purple= ready to breed, light pink= not ready to breed. Try again in a week or simply keep an eye on your doe's physical signs of readiness. Much luck to you!

Well i thought she was getting ready, i checked her all week, but tonight did not go good again.
i'll try again in a few days.

so, still no luck.
i tried holding her and the buck would smell me instead.
i was reading about feeding her black oil sunflower seeds and parsley. any one know how much of this to feed, do i still feed her pellets?

HANSON301":1bp9ektz said:
so, still no luck.
i tried holding her and the buck would smell me instead.
i was reading about feeding her black oil sunflower seeds and parsley. any one know how much of this to feed, do i still feed her pellets?

Yes, still feed pellets. You can give her a sprig of parsley and 1Tblsp of BOSS per day...don't overdo the parsley until she gets used to eating fresh greens. Sometimes, you don't need to actually HOLD them....just get them to stop for long enough for the buck to get on.

Would anybody know how many days it usually takes for a doe to turn her vent from pink to red?

Disney":1z01vbtj said:
Would anybody know how many days it usually takes for a doe to turn her vent from pink to red?

They fluctuate over 4-7 days...so I would check every day and mark down your findings. That way, you have a good idea of how often that particular doe fluctuates.

OneAcreFarm":30s7t492 said:
They fluctuate over 4-7 days...so I would check every day and mark down your findings. That way, you have a good idea of how often that particular doe fluctuates.

Does it really change that quick within a week? I have this doe that i got the other week on wednesday and she wouldn't breed, i'm trying her every other day, and yesterday again.. she is still pale and refuses. I think it's going to take another week or maybe 2..
My other doe's are slow with this process aswell so it's not just her.

__________ Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 pm __________

I took my NZW doe for a ride last night because i heard it can help get them 'ready' and i have not had luck with her and the buck. and it worked, but my buck didn't know what he was doing and another night with out success.

I've found holding the virgin doe for a few seconds by the scruff helps get her in the right position, if she is ready to be bred.

My 6/7 month old doe finally colored red and today purple.. but both bucks are not in the mood to breed, i'm very dissapointed with them.
I'm going to keep checking this doe's vent and write down if she colors pink and back to red again to find out how many days it take to finish a cycle.

I house my buck between the does...being in proximity seems to encourage the girls. I will say though, that although the does have never once lifted, we've had 3 litters. As long as she holds still and doesn't run or fight him, it can still work.

Disney":tjuyi3ws said:
... but both bucks are not in the mood to breed, i'm very dissapointed with them.
This strikes me funny...a male..not in the mood. :mrgreen: Didn't know it was possible.

3LilMonkeys":1o6wqy3u said:
Disney":1o6wqy3u said:
... but both bucks are not in the mood to breed, i'm very dissapointed with them.
This strikes me funny...a male..not in the mood. :mrgreen: Didn't know it was possible.
I've had the same problems with my Champange buck not being interested at all. :shock: Any suggestions to help this? :? Table breeding did not work he is SO distracted out of his cage, but in his cage he does nothing... :angry: Very annoyed with him right now. :all-ears: :wall: :help:

buck and doe are both virgins, see lifts the buck mounts and tries but stops before finishing.
He does the same thing on both does.
Rrrr. looking at new bucks tomorrow!<br /><br />__________ Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 pm __________<br /><br />when i put my doe and buck together it is like a peeing fight.
And yes i checked her parts again to make sure. ;)

Latest posts

Back