Breeding for Health - kit query

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a first time holland lop doe who gave me three kits.

Chestnut - biggest head on this kit I've ever seen and can sit up well.
Tricolour - smaller bodied kit, but sits up nicely
Harlequin - very similar to tricolour but sits more flat

I want to keep the chestnut BUT...

Since breeding for health is a primary focus for me I ponder if I should.

This kit seems to have a slower developing digestive system...if I give grass it's the only one that gets a poopy butt. The others do not. It's also the only one that developed a bit of nestbox eye. BUT this kit also has floofier hair which once I trimmed the hair, the eyes were fine. IT IS NOT fuzzy lop...but a bit floofier and I expect once she moults her hair will be normal.

So how do I treat this kit? As a cull since it's the only one that has issues? As a potential keeper and hope that she'll outgrow this?

I like keeping rabbits that are relatively problem free... floffier hair in kits I can cope with that as it's just two snips with a scissor. BUT ..

well..I suppose I should try that... clipping the hair down below and see if that resolves the poopy butt issue.. like that's just a DUH moment. :)

But the question is one that still stands. What do you do if you breed for health and you have a nice kit doesn't seem unhealthy...just slower to develop certain carefree criteria?

I guess for me the question would be: Am I willing to deal with these characteristics in her offspring? And/or: Am I willing to cull her and her whole line if things don't go well?

On the question of feeding grass, you could try feeding some plantain, shepherd's purse or raspberry/starwberry/blackberry leaves along with the grass. It might help.

i probably should have been more clear in my "give grass" comment. My give grass is... give greens that are picked randomly from around the property... dandelions, grass, plantain, etc. They've had a variety of greens offered throughout the winter so it's not a huge shock to their system to get greens in the spring. I just find it interesting that one of the three is having issues with poopy butt. And I don't know if it's a hair issue or a development issue.<br /><br />__________ Sun May 08, 2011 5:41 pm __________<br /><br />cull the line... if need be, I'd do that. I've done that with other lines I've had...through health reasons, temperament issues and what not. I'm just starting to think of these sort of things as being a continuing part of the health focus. Now that I rarely get nestbox eye (who knew you can work to diminish that!?!?!) and rarely have a rabbit with sneezing issues. This year I haven't lost a ONE to seasonal changes....though had one go off feed so she won't be retained. So I'm looking at refining what I keep back health wise as I look to the future of building my herd TYPE wise as well.

I really really want to have a herd that I can maintain with little to no medical intervention - from birth to death. and KNOCK ON WOOD... I think I am getting there. Time will continue to tell how it goes.

No matter how nice I thought the Rabbit looked color-wise
or fur type, it would be culled! I am a stinker for proper health qualities
being of utmost importance in the rabbitry.
I have seen and gone through too much in the distant past.
However, that being stated, I do not insist on anyone doing
what I do. We all must do what we feel is best for the others in our herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I think you are doing very well working towards your goals for healthy, trouble-free rabbits, Ladysown. I haven't defined my goals as clearly as you have, but I think I move instinctively in a similar direction. Because my facility is small, there are usually more good rabbits than places... Makes me very picky about which ones I keep. And bouncing good health and good temperament are definitely a major criteria. Type is less important with mutts... but of course they have to have good meat rabbit shape.

well.. I clipped hair last night. gave more greens and this morning...no poopy butt. So now I left wondering.... was it a hair issue OR... has it matured digestively enough to keep up with sisters? Really really not sure but we'll continue monitoring.

Is it also possible that maybe something with the greens you picked just didn't hit her well? You said they were from around your property... Just a thought. If she handles pellets and hay fine, I wouldn't stress on her digestive system. Maybe she just can't have it?

Back