breeding for 4h

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
My sister n law usually sells her Cali's for 4h. When should she breed them so they will be ready? They closes fair is in August I believe but there could be some in July. She wants to breed her doe on the 1st of April. Do you think that is enough time for them to be big enough for the fair or should she breed them sooner?

Well we did do the math. But don't they have to weigh over a amount to be shown? The last time she had a litter I think she weighed them and they was only like 2 pounds 2 weeks before the fair. Is that a good weight or do they need to weigh more.

No, it goes by age

Meat Pen - under 10 weeks (2.5 months)

Showing
- juniors(under 6 months)
- intermediates (6 to 8 months)
-seniors (over 8 months)

If your sister in laws Californians are too small for their age they will be disqualified - you will need to look up the required weights for male and female Californians in each age class to know if your sister in laws will be competitive.

How old were they at 2 pounds?

preciousgurl63":1v807x29 said:
I can't really remember but I believe they was 7 maybe 8 wks old.
Well, I can tell you right now that is WAY too small as meat pen rabbits are supposed to be at least 5 pounds at 10 weeks.

preciousgurl63":39egyx8g said:
How much do they have to way for a meat pen?

AS close to......but not over.........5 pounds....(I think)....

Correct me if I'm wrong Dood .....

I just weighed a litter of 7 NZW's yesterday...@ 57 days old they averaged
4 pounds 10.5 ounces. They would have hit 5 pounds well under ten weeks
old. More than likely 9 weeks old.

I had a litter of 5 hit 6 pounds a day over 10 weeks old. But, it was a small
litter and they were 50-50's. Cal buck...NZW doe. The doe is a daughter of
my best milker in the herd, RK-024.

If you look at your local county show website they may give you a breeding date for the show (ours does, it makes it easy). The rabbits are not supposed to be over 10 weeks old by show date (although I doubt they would be able to tell, but it would be unethical). In some areas it is different though, but that is the norm. Usually they have to be at least 3 pounds to be able to be shown, but really won't do well unless they are around the 4.5-5 pound mark.

Meat pen breeding requires the rabbits to not be over 10 weeks of age. They must weigh between 3-5 pounds. This is a requirement for 4-H and ARBA sanctioned shows.

Ok thanks everyone. I let my sister n law know and now she has to recalculate when she should breed her doe so they will be they right size, weight and age for the 4her's they usually buy from her.

Back