Breeding does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drowe005

Reaction score
Just wondering when any of you start breeding your Californian does? I've got a 6 month old one who seems to be full grown and was planning on breeding her soon, any thoughts? Ive also got a 1 and a half year old or so rex that I would like to breed but she has never been bred before. I have heard if you dont breed a rabbit by the age of 1 theyre pelvic bones fuse together or something like that and cause birth complications? Would you say its OK to breed the Rex? Thanks

Yes, it's okay to breed the Rex. The chances of complications are very slight. I don't know where that myth came from. The worst case scenario is that she may have had time to accumulate fat around her ovaries and uterus, in which case she may not conceive. But it won't hurt to try.

If your six-month-old Cal doe seems full grown, she is likely mature enough. She may not be receptive at first... Many young does are a bit intimidated by a buck's attentions. Check her vulva... and wait for a day when it is red to purplish for best receptivity. There is a current trend to using Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea to put does in the mood. It seems to have helped a number of members get their stubborn does bred. Again, can't hurt to try!

If they don't have offspring young the tendons and ligaments don't stretch as well on many animals from guinea pig and rabbit to horse but bones do not fuse and birth is still completely possible. The odds of difficulty does go up slightly which is why longer lived animals are often bred once when they come of age, compete, and then retire as brood animals so their first offspring is not at an old age. I've had first time year old does though. Many wait 10 months to breed large breeds and sometimes have misses that take them in to a year. It's not that far off from normal breeding time. It's not like we are talking about a 5 year old maiden doe.

The rescues and antibreeding groups took the little fact of *potential* increased difficulty in birthing and turned it in to impossible to discourage breeders and that's where it got started. It seems to have started with the guinea pigs and spread to other rodents and rabbits. Even the knowledgeable guinea pig rescue forums now dispute this information though as they pride themselves on being correct for all health issues.

I'm on the Raspberry Tea bandwagon all the way, My 6 mo. old NZW doe was mortified of the buck for the first few times we tried to breed her, she would whine and huff for 10 minutes after we put her back in her own cage, but after a healthy dose of Raspberry Zinger she was very receptive

Latest posts

Back