Breeding after first litter is weened

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samanthamarie716

Reaction score
Hello, so my first litter has been weened and is 10 weeks old. I want to breed once more this spring so I am planning to do it soon as long as everything goes as planned. My doe seems in completely great spirits and shape and is eating very well. This last litter was our first litter. I am just wondering if it is normal for does belly and nipple area to be saggy? I am going to assume yes just like after we have babies that can happen but I just want to double check before breading again. I feel like it will def make it harder for me to palpate her at 14 days, I could t even feel anything the first pregnancy never mind now. So if I allow 2 fall offs I can be pretty certain she would be pregnant again correct? I know I am not going to be able to feel them at 14 days. Also what else should I look for before regressing Thanks in advance

Soggy belly area is normal, as far as I know. My Doe (And maybe the other one too) had it after her litter was weaned.

It's hard to be certain with any number of fall offs. My Buck got 9, no Kits. Then another time, he got 1, then there was a Kit.

in my experience, once the doe has completely dried up, she will firm up again.

I have learned that the number of fall-offs does not predicate the size of the litter. One can mean a litter of 11, and three can be a litter of zero. I know people who insist on five or six fall-offs. I've learned that one and done works just as well, but if the buck is up for twice, that's just insurance on my part that the doe was indeed willing.

I aim for 2 fall-offs, just to be sure as well. And as far as palpating goes, I have NEVER been able to determine pregnancy from that. I can never feel anything lol. Instead, I watch for behavior changes.

I leave the buck and doe for about 15 minutes or until the buck can no longer fulfill his obligation. I have had kindles of 13 with one fall off and these last two kindles he 4 & 5 and liters of 5 & 6. If you are going to try to palpate for pregnancy you need to get throughly familiar with each doe’s abdomen before they are mated. Once you have a good understanding what an un-pregnant doe feels like you will be much more successful at palpating for pregnancy. It’s a risky thing to try to palpate such a small animal without injury to mom or babies. Especially if you are new to it. Watching their behavior is safer and it forces you to watch them closely to pick up clues through changes. I have notes on my breeding does to help me know what to expect.

Back