Breed %'s

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
For those of you that like figuring out breed percentage's..........is this correct?

Stache x Marvin: 1/2 English Spot 1/2 Californian x Californian
Bug: 1/4 English Spot 3/4 Californian

Bug x Houdini: 1/4 English Spot 3/4 Californian x NZ
Bug Kits: 1/8 English Spot, 3/8 Californian x 1/2 NZ

Stache x Marvin: 1/2 English Spot 1/2 Californian x Californian
Jasper: 1/4 English Spot 3/4 Californian

Jasper x Pretty Girl: 1/4 English Spot 3/4 Californian x NZ
Pretty Girl Kits: 1/8 English Spot, 3/8 Californian x 1/2 NZ

So my 2nd generation brokens are 1/8 English Spot, 3/8 Californian, and 1/2 NZ.......correct?

If I breed one of Pretty Girl's sons back to her for generation 3.......is this breakdown correct? 1/16 English Spot, 3/16 Californian, 3/4 NZ

So then if I take it one step further, and breed that generation 3 kit back to a full NZ.........how much closer to full NZ does that bring me?

While your math is correct, it's my understanding that recombinant DNA doesn't work like that. It's like the dwarf gene thing: a lot of people think the math there means 25% of the total kits will be peanuts, when it's actually that EACH KIT has a 25% chance of being a peanut. Some people never get one in several breedings, while others seem to get nothing BUT. So if you are wanting to work towards "full NZ" without bringing in new animals, your plan is a good starting point, but it's still possible the 3rd or 4th generations will produce rabbits who look like great great great grandbunny, the English Spot. As for the math though, your last step would result in 1/32 ES, 3/32 Cal and 7/8 NZ.

Latest posts

Back