Breed choices

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
I'm getting back into raising meat rabbits and I'm thinking about what breeds I want. I raise them for dog food (raw diet) and I'm only doing enough for myself and a few friends so I'm not looking for the biggest or best 'meaty' type.

I do plan to save and use the hides (again, for dogs) so I want something with a good short fur.

I LOVE the feel of the Rex fur so I'm planning to have a couple of them. I also thought having a Flemish buck would get me the size I want - but would he be too big for the Rex does? I also plan to have Cali's and NZ's.

Am I missing a 'must have' breed? I will be doing a colony and feeding as natural as possible (if that matters).

Actually, as far as I know flemish does would be better, with a rex buck.

But if you want the rex fur... What I would do is breed a few litters, flemish to rex, and keep some does out of those to keep as your moms. May take longer, but it's the only way you'll get babies with the short short rex fur. o_O;

Why not give Satins a try?
They have a very unique fur
with a Sheen when the sun strikes their coat that
cannot compare to the coat of any other breed!
And they come in a color variety to suit anyone's taste.
Of course I am biased.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I use the pelts for making dog toys so I'm not too concerned about the look (since it will get chewed on :) ) as I am about the texture and strength.

I was told to go with a Flemish buck and smaller breed does because you aren't feeding as much. One Flemish rabbit versus MANY Flemish rabbits can make a big difference in the amount of feed you go through! :)

I don't understand the need to cross two breeds. If you are raising for dogfood the larger bone of the flemish might be ok for your needs.Flemish can have very large litters.Rex have a much finer bone and way more meat and this cross may only bring trouble with birthing plus they are opposite ends of the scale in type.Rex can eat quite a lot too, they certainly love their food!NZW were bred for meat and efficiency of feed conversion; Cali's are an offshoot of nz's and are dual purpose meat/fur type. There are certainly a lot of mutts out there that may fit your needs and probably are a dime a dozen, so it becomes a personal choice finding what you need :)

Truthfully, I am not at all an expert, but I too would reccommend the larger does, at least a NZ or cali. they would have room for bigger litters, and NZ's were bred for fur too, but the fur trade isn't cost effective in this country so now they are more often discarded. I love my NZ's though, so I am really probably biased. In my limited experience they are really good mothers for me. And I have to be careful not to let them get too fat, so that says something about their economy.

It is safest for the does not to breed them to a significantly larger buck. Why risk your breeding stock to save a little feed, especially if you are going with an alfalfa-hay based natural diet.

I question whether Flemish are what you are looking for, but I can understand you wanting to try a cross, so here's what I suggest. Go with your purebred rexes or other meat breeds but buy ONE Flemish doe. Use those of her female offspring best suited to your purpose to increase your herd, if you are happy with how they grow out.

That way, most of your herd will still be purebred, which is good if you develop a market for breeding stock or pets. Even selling a few each season will help pay the feed bill.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I understand about the size difference and birthing issues. I was going to try to find ones that are closer in size but I think maybe I'll just stick with the NZa to start. :)

Are any breeds easier to colonize than others?

Latest posts

Back