Bred broken NZ Red with Californian - Anyone know genetics?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver0202

Reaction score
I bred a broken Red New Zealand doe to a Californian buck. The result were 9 solids: 5 whites (with the californian black ears and nose) and 4 blacks.

I was surprised to see that none of them were broken. Wouldn't statistically 50% have to be broken? Did I just get unlucky or is the combination of Californian/New Zealand prohibiting the broken gene to carry forward?

Any input on the color genetics (when it comes to new zealand/californian crosses) would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a video to show the offspring. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rvKw_9xKw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWeKOluQhkeTHkqV5rN_avQ[/youtube]

thx, s.

The himis (cali color) could be brokens and you don't see it. As they get darker watch for white feet. Sometimes though you just don't get litters that match the odds. Your next litter could be mostly brokens. There's no telling. 1 litter is not a good way to judge genetics.

Supposedly white-spotting is linked to Dutch and angora, so, no, a Cali/NZ cross shouldn't result in any blockage; even linked genes don't really do that, they just cause the offspring to match the parents except in the case of crossover. I'd say Akane is likely correct: the pointed whites might have their white spots over the places they are already white OR you might just have gotten a lucky roll of all solids.

Yeah unfortunately the result of the odds can vary a lot. We got 75% REW in a resent litter where the odds were 25% and 0 broken where the odds were 50%. Worst deviation we have gotten though.

I bred a broken fawn (fawn is agouti, which is dominant) to a black solid doe. Should have been mostly agoutis and half broke , and all the kits were broken self variations.

Odd genetics happen sometimes!

Back