Breadfruit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says its ok for livestock http://www.feedipedia.org/node/523 BUT I would worry about over ripe fruits as their glucose levels might upset a rabbit gut flora causig a bloom and enteritis

Since it is part of the mulberry family I wonder if the leaves would be edible too and a pretty good protein source?

Apparently you can eat the leaves -
Breadfruit leaves are good sources of Vitamin C, iron, and calcium.

Young leaves are softened over a fire. Remove the stalks, wash the leaves, and cook covered in a small amount of salted water for about 20 minutes.

I haven't fed any. But I don't know of any obvious reason why you couldn't--well of course, in modest amounts, since it is predominantly a carbohydrate source.

Never knew that about eating the leaves... Our ducks nibble the low hanging ones till they're ragged though. But I've seen them do the same thing to plants in the taro family and cassava, so it's hard to tell with them sometimes... :?

I wasn't looking at it as a main food source, just as a "treat" or an occasional type food. My neighbor has a ton, and I tossed a few to the goats. They liked it.

Latest posts

Back