Bottle feeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter1A

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
If my doe does not feed who if anyone has had success bottle feeding from day one? I feel I should be prepared this time in case. Last time she had no milk. This time I'm feeding nettles and raspberry leaves.

No colostrum = no properly started immunesystem = failure to thrive.
So honestly i would not try. Milk production is part of good mothering abilities and problems in that area is good reason to cull. Losing a nursing doe later on i might try to bottle raise the litter, but not that young. Bottle raising is a gamble anyway with rabbits.

If my doe does not feed who if anyone has had success bottle feeding from day one? I feel I should be prepared this time in case. Last time she had no milk. This time I'm feeding nettles and raspberry leaves.
I always try, seems like such a waste...

I agree with @tambayo that bottle raising is a gamble and I've never actually done it from day#1, but others have. Newborn kits do need colostrum, but you can buy that - it's sold for goat and lamb bottle feeding. If you have access to raw goat milk, that's a great milk replacer for bunnies (you'd still need to supply them with colostrum, either from a newly freshened goat or from the feed store). If you don't have access to raw goat milk, I've raised a few bunnies on Esbilac goat's milk puppy milk replacer with the addition of heavy cream. You can buy it in powder form and just have on hand for emergencies.

I have not fed from day one however I have fed from day 4 successfully. I used a dropper to start then moved to a small syringe and just moved to a bigger syrine as they got older. Cup the little bun in your hand and flip it on its back, once a drop of milk touches their mouth they got curious and started picking then suckling within minutes, at least for me. I had to raise an entire litter when a neighbor killed my whole trio.

If they don't get any colostrum from mom, I would try getting the colostrum paste and dissolving it in the formula for the first few days.

Those babies are now part of my breeders. They are sweet & give nice size beautiful buns.

I have not fed from day one however I have fed from day 4 successfully. I used a dropper to start then moved to a small syringe and just moved to a bigger syrine as they got older. Cup the little bun in your hand and flip it on its back, once a drop of milk touches their mouth they got curious and started picking then suckling within minutes, at least for me. I had to raise an entire litter when a neighbor killed my whole trio.

If they don't get any colostrum from mom, I would try getting the colostrum paste and dissolving it in the formula for the first few days.

Those babies are now part of my breeders. They are sweet & give nice size beautiful buns.
Excellent! I think she will feed this time. She has in the past but something went wrong with the last litter. I still blame the wind. I will get ready just in case. By the way, neighbors are a pain.

I appreciate that someone has had luck!! I have had a terrible time but I am usually either working with kits who have been chilled or are already failing to thrive (runts) so I am never sure if it is my feeding attempt that was the factor that caused their demise or if they were just too far gone. In my experience, they are borderline not interested in feeding in the first place, and I can't get them interested, which sounds like they are probably already past the point of no recovery. This eases my mind a bit.

I appreciate that someone has had luck!! I have had a terrible time but I am usually either working with kits who have been chilled or are already failing to thrive (runts) so I am never sure if it is my feeding attempt that was the factor that caused their demise or if they were just too far gone. In my experience, they are borderline not interested in feeding in the first place, and I can't get them interested, which sounds like they are probably already past the point of no recovery. This eases my mind a bit.
atta girl!

I read the old posts, thank you. Will follow the instructions and recipe if need be. Just bought it all and I feel more at ease, just in case.
I think having it all on hand is a good idea. Relieves the stress some. I was saying I should add a couple options to my pantry as well. Glad you brought this up.

Latest posts

Back