BOSS ? pros/ cons

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowell

Reaction score
I read about it once but forget the cons and cannot find the thread And is it with or without the hull??

black oil sunflower seeds are IMO one of the best things for rabbit. They are packed with nutrition, amino acids, and calories, so they are a great supplement for almost any rabbit to one degree or another. They do help with shiny coats also. CON:not many, possibly too high in protein and calories, which could cause heat issues during summer months. If fed too much too often maybe some weight gain issues. I believe the positives out weight the negatives. Definitely with shells as they add necessary fiber and are easy to chew thru for bunnies. Just make sure there are solid black shells and not the sunflowers with stripes.

I love BOSS. A friend suggested adding it to my pellets to help with weight and condition...and it far exceeded my expectations. :) Definitely shell-on, and solid black like tnelsonfla said. I buy mine as bird seed because it is a few bucks cheaper at the little shop I get it from than the stuff two shelves down that is marketed for livestock, so shop around and get the best price you can. :mrgreen:

One of the things I like about the BOSS is that even rabbits who are "off their feed" will nibble at them. I have one doe who doesn't like to see the bottom of her feed bin, she NEVER eats a whole meal...but she still eats more than she did before she was on BOSS as a supplement and she's holding condition and weight WAY better than before. :)

The breeder I got my Angoras from did not use BOSS and I'm seeing a surge in coat growth and quality, I can only assume it is from more protein-rich foods. :) Coat growth in Angoras or any wool breed sucks down a LOT of protein...having extra to burn is making them so thick and dense and soft!!! :)

BOSS can throw some rabbits in to perpetual molt. I had a mini rex buck who would molt at the drop of a hat when on boss and every time you stopped and restarted feeding boss to him. I never did get to see him in good coat without patches dying and falling off. Molt can happen anytime you change the protein level in the diet but for some it just never stops and they require a lower protein and calorie diet.

I never particularly cared for BOSS when I tried feeding it early on. Half the rabbits wouldn't touch the stuff, and the ones who did eat it never improved in any noticeable way. Moulting tended to be a problem a bit more frequently, as well.

Both the EAs and the Satin love the BOSS and it definitely improved the coat on my EA buck that came from pellet/timothy diet to pellet/grass hay/oats/BOSS diet, and added a lovely sheen to the Satin doe's coat.

The side benefit is the volunteer sunflowers that sprout ... I grew some out this summer (need 10x as many next year LOL) and saved the seed heads, then pulled the plant and gave it to the bunnies as a treat in the runout pens. OMG! They would not only inhale the plant, they would gnaw the stem until it was "nothing" and the empty seed heads make great "toys" for entertainment and more nibbling!

That is something I would like to know.

I have not seen any difference in my animals with feeding or not feeding BOSS. It was just another unnecessary cost IMO.

skysthelimit":1u2lzwi8 said:
I have not seen any difference in my animals with feeding or not feeding BOSS.
I do have to agree on that sky. I dont see any difference with mine either. But the cost isnt high to buy them and i do give them some every second day . In the cold i will everyday. What i do find a big difference on is the flax seed.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":21gxbo1q said:
skysthelimit":21gxbo1q said:
I have not seen any difference in my animals with feeding or not feeding BOSS.
I do have to agree on that sky. I dont see any difference with mine either. But the cost isnt high to buy them and i do give them some every second day . In the cold i will everyday. What i do find a big difference on is the flax seed.

Going to get that flax seed today if the store has power :)

Latest posts

Back