BOSS for protein source

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AprilW

Reaction score
I was wondering about using black oil sunflower seeds as the protein source for naturally fed rabbits? Is it imperative that alfalfa is the base of a natural diet? I only question it because I don't have a reliable source of good, affordable hay. TIA

I think BOSS is more for oils and certain vitamins. If you check in the Natural Feeding threads, there are probably permanent articles about foods that are high in protein other than alfalfa.

If I'm not mistaken, using BOSS as the primary protein source would probably make your rabbits fat fast! They are rich in fat, and are normally used only in small quantities because of this. Their oils and other nutrients are very good for rabbits, though.

It certainly doesn't have to be alfalfa. In fact, there's a fodder sprouting thread that talks about using oats, barley, sunflower seed, etc. to sprout and turn into a complete feed. The sprouts are higher in protein and other nutrients than their seeds are.

There are also some who feed grains. You'll find recipes in the Natural Feeding Forum. :)

BOSS is really not that high in protein, mostly for oils and fats like dragonlady and Miss M said. Alfalfa is high in readily available protein which is why it is so popular. clover is as well, but gotta get the right clover. Someone is using Nyjer seeds, but they are very small and probably need solid bowls, if you are feeding with solid bowls, they're a good one with 35% protein.

Ah thank you! Do you know which is the right type of clover? :) I'll check on the sprouts threads.

I believe white and red clover, leaves. I wish I could see under the snow. I'm pretty sure mine are red clover.

Here's the main thread... it's 12 pages long and going! :eek:
fodder-sprouting-systems-anyone-t10317.html

As Sky said, BOSS is about 14% protein. It's when it's hulled that it's 25% protein. I just learned this recently. Thought I was improving my protein content with a little BOSS. Nope! :)

It is very rich stuff, and members have had rabbits blow coat when they've had too much of it! Not so bad in summer, but not something you want to happen now. Normal usage would be somewhere around 1 teaspoon a few times a week, pregnant does 1 tablespoon.

Latest posts

Back