Books for Bunny Beginners / Rabbit Rookies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogCatMom

Reaction score
Well. Alas. I've struck out at both the library and Barnes & Noble. I was reduced to checking out a children's book, Rabbits, in the Great Pets series by Marshall Cavendish Corp. (Ruth Bjorklund, author) at the library yesterday, since there were absolutely no adult books available.

Then today, DH and I went to Barnes & Noble. He had a 20% off coupon burning a hole in his pocket, so he generously offered to use it on a rabbit book. Aw... But there were no rabbit books in Pets. There were books on dogs, cats, parakeets, parrots, and horses, but no rabbits. I continued around the shelving unit and found books on Nature. These even included books on Urban Farming, Poultry Raising, Beekeeping, etc. But no rabbits. (There were some mis-filed books on parakeets and fish in aquariums.)

The huge advantage of previewing books in the library or a bookstore is that one can actually SEE the level of information available. Although the Internet has a lot of info, being a tactile person puts me at a sensory disadvantage dealing exclusively with the Internet. I do much better with books: I can remember where on a page I saw what, the color of the book cover, the size of the book, the characteristics of the spine, etc., which all make finding the info again pretty straight-forward. And if I've checked out a book from the library and decide I absolutely must have a copy for my very own, I have all kinds of nice, secure feelings about the purchase. (I can't tell you how much I've saved on books since implementing this policy several years ago, about the time the third of my three stable part-time jobs went down the tubes....)

So, finally getting to my point: What book(s) does this board consider absolutely essential or, at least, highly recommended for the Bunny Beginner? Bear in mind that the currently projected function of my one or two bunnies will be --to provide spinning fiber, --to provide compost, and --to eat otherwise non-compostable, safe plants as a means of reducing "thrown-away" plants (e.g., blackberry canes, dandelions, sowthistle). So I'm looking at an Angora or two, breed as yet unknown, but molters preferred.

Authors to look for? Titles to look for? Recommended vendors? Thank you!

I rather like Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits...also, if you join the ARBA they not only give you a subscription to their magazine (which is AWESOME) but they will give you the book Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies. There's a couple other books on the ARBA site I wish I could afford to buy, like the Domestic Rabbits & Their Histories - Breeds of the World...but I'm poor and it isn't NECESSARY so I go without it. ;) Plus I bet it has very little if anything in the way of care and is more just made of pure awesomeness and information. :)

Hope that helps!!!

(seriously, membership with the ARBA is worth it for the publications alone. SRSLY. I think a 1 year membership is like...$20 and you get membership, the book AND magazine subscription included at no extra charge...on their site, the Guidebook to Raising Better Rabbits & Cavies is $15 purchased separately...and that doesn't include S&H...plus the magazine is great! It's a lot of good stuff for reasonable dues.)

I know you are looking at Angoras...maybe contact the National Angora Breeders Club and see if membership includes a breed handbook? I got a GREAT handbook when I joined the National Mini Rex Rabbit Club. Some breed clubs don't though so I'd ask first. :)

The most informative book, though a bit costly:
Would be: Rabbit Production By=McNitt, Patton, Lukefahr & Cheeke.
this book is also known in Rabbit Circles as: "The Rabbit Breeders Bible".
This book is well worth it's price. If you can afford no other book,
This is the book to have!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Is the Rabbit Breeder's Bible appropriate,
even if I don't anticipate breeding rabbits?

Yes it is! You will find an answer to just about
every question you can think of.
The information covers everything from caging
to feeding and treatment of Diseases.
I don't believe anyone who owns/cares for a Rabbit or Rabbits
should be without this book. It IS a GREAT source of information.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Kyle@theHeathertoft":1yhdwr26 said:
I rather like Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits...also, if you join the ARBA they not only give you a subscription to their magazine (which is AWESOME) but they will give you the book Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies.

Storey's Guide by Bob Bennet is a good starter book, although I disagree strongly with his views on routinely medicating your herd. You can find it at TSC.

The ARBA book is great, too, as is the magazine. :)

My friend who used to raise Angoras highly recommends "Completely Angora" by Kilfoyle and Samson.

ottersatin":1yhdwr26 said:
The most informative book, though a bit costly:
Would be: Rabbit Production By=McNitt, Patton, Lukefahr & Cheeke.

I don't have this yet, but... Christmas is just a few short months away! :p Maybe Santa Claus will bring it this year if I am an especially well behaved rabbit breeder until then! ;)

I would recommend "The Rabbit Book" by Samantha Johnson. You can find it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Rabbit-Book-R ... 0760339473
It kind of targets 4-H and FFA age kids, but it very well written and has lot's of good advice. It covers all the basics of rabbit care very well.

Another one is "Your Rabbit" by Nancy Searle. Once again it is written for 4-H kids. But trust me, rabbit newby adults will find plenty of good information in this book. It chock full of info about housing, breedings, grooming, raising, showing, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Your-Rabbit-Guide ... 088266767X

One more, since I know you mentioned being interested in Angoras. I would also recommend "The nervous new owner's guide to Angora Rabbits". http://www.amazon.com/Nervous-Owners-Gu ... 0578071770
There is no other book like it. If your serious about Angoras this book will tell you all the secrets of the breed!
We raised Angoras for years, and that book was very helpful when we started out.

Hope that helps. I know it was already mention, but I also encourage to join ARBA so you get their magazine and the ARBA members book.
It is a very interested read and you will learn lot's!
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back