boney bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Are whole oats okay to give a rabbit? I have some for the horses, and sometimes give her some as a treat. She knows how to peal them like you would a sunflower seed. She's picky about her food and doesn't like me switching brands, so she's eating less and getting bonier than ever...

Oats are great for rabbits. Some of mine peel them, some eat them whole. You can also give her some BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds). They contain a lot of fat. I don't feed pellets anymore- instead I feed oats, barley, BOSS, and beet pulp. I also feed hay.

Mamasheepdog? What ratio of all that stuff do you feed? If you fed it to meat rabbits, does it affect growth and/or taste of the meat? :)

I'm curious since I've had a lot of better success since I started mixing BOSS into the pellets I feed. :)

Kyle@theHeathertoft":21pqu0md said:
Mamasheepdog? What ratio of all that stuff do you feed? If you fed it to meat rabbits, does it affect growth and/or taste of the meat? :)

My formula seems to be constantly evolving, but right now I mix:

4lbs oats
4lbs barley
2lbs BOSS
2lbs beet pulp

The young kits don't seem to like the beet pulp as much as the older animals. I have no idea of the growout rates, because I have kept poor records in that regard... some of it is written down, but not collated.

I gave up on pellets pretty recently, so we don't have any meat that has been solely raised on this formula.

They also get weeds, vegis, etc., and the occasional oat/apple horse cookie.

If I can ask, what is the cost versus pellets? :) I'm sorta on a budget. ;) I know the BOSS aren't cheap but I'm already willing to spring for that, lol.

Also, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! :D

I'm curious, too... I know that where we're moving, I'll probably have access to some more stuff! :)

I've seen rice bran for sale around here...

yes my DM dear mommy did stop doing pellet's the real reason we gave up on the pellet's was because we kept having problem's
with corn in the pellet's. We think it was because they were keeping deer food in the same silos as the rabbit food not at the
same time of course!!! Obviously who ever's job it was to clean it out was not doing a very great job at it.
Queenpup.

Back