Bonding girls - not working

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have two youngish nethies, 13 weeks and 15 weeks I decided to see if I could put them in one big cage today and bond them. Well, I've been watching them for 45 minutes they are fighting, they do not seem to like each other at all. I'm thinking maybe this was a bad idea. Do you think they will hurt each other should I separate them.<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 am __________<br /><br />I separated them - they were really fighting. I'm surprised I thought they where still young enough to bond but it was getting pretty violent.

I do thin they will hurt eachother, seen it happen with two Rex 12-15 weeks old. Tore a patch of fur down to the skin right off the other, and they had been housed together for several weeks without incident.

skysthelimit":wq0evx3w said:
I do thin they will hurt eachother, seen it happen with two Rex 12-15 weeks old. Tore a patch of fur down to the skin right off the other, and they had been housed together for several weeks without incident.

Jeez! Good thing I separated them then. It makes me think- there are a lot of people who want two girl baby rabbits from me so they can have two girls in the same cage- sounds like that might not always be a good idea either.

I had 2 people recently get same sex pairs out of the same litter. I've never tried to bond two rabbit together so not sure how you go about it. I looked at a few youtube videos but didn't watch enough to get a understanding of home to go about it.

Ive seen rabbits tear huge four inch gashes in each others throats when housed together. I have done a few successful colonies, but the key is the right rabbits and a whole lot of space. I wont put two together in a space less that 5x6 ft, usually larger. I know rabbits can be bonded, my parents kept a pair that were, but ive only seen it in spayed rabbits who also have alot of space. I dont sell two together unless they have separate cages just in case of fighting. I wouldn't advise keeping two in one cage unless you are willing to risk injury or death.

Wow! I'm learning a lot here- I've seen a lot of information on other sites and ads for rabbits implying girls could be caged together no problems. I did put one of my JWs in with my Mini lop when they where around the same age and they got along- but it was in a very large outdoor run.

Females are very territorial so it's not recommended
To bond to females . It's very unlikely that they will
Be a bounding pair.

If they are pets they suggest to get both
Of them fixed so that the hormones will
Calm down. This would help with the territorialness
As well.

The key with bonding rabbits is to match their personalities. You have to make sure one is submissive so the other can dominate without any hostility. Two dominant females will easily collide, but if you pick the right pair to bond.. they can be besties for a life time.

It seems like both your nethies are dominant and have a strong spirit. You should try them both with a calmer doe that submits.
I'm positive that will work out.

I have a colony with several females and i also have hutches and cages with doe's that are bonded.
And i've been selling many sisters that are supposed to live together. I always tell them to call me if anything happens, that hasn't happened yet.

8057374_orig.jpg

Thanks Disney- It did seem like one of the nethies was extra aggressive- maybe I'll try the nicer one again with a different doe when one of my more placid jersey wooly babies gets old enough to leave its mom.

And only introduce them in a neutral area so there is nothing for them to protect or feel threatened by. So dont put one female in the cage of the other. I thought i just point this out to make sure.

My Nethies were pushy and nippy, and I hear it can be a breed trait. I kept the one and a holland lop, they ran the house together but had separate cages.

The JW's are wonderful together, and since they are so small, I keep them in groups of 2 and four. This is not something I would try with the Rex, but I would with the Angoras.

I have two does that get on very well with one another and even share a nest and nursing duty if they kindle about the same time but I think the key factor is that they were raised from the same litter and have always been together.

hoodat":30vrxwv4 said:
I have two does that get on very well with one another and even share a nest and nursing duty if they kindle about the same time but I think the key factor is that they were raised from the same litter and have always been together.

Same here. I've seen only two pairs that got along (one female pair and one male pair at different times) and both times they were rabbits from the same litter that were raised together.

If I sell a pair that will be living together, I generally insist they come from the same litter. This way I know which are already getting a long (I keep them together until they are starting to pick on each other.) and so the pairing is more apt to go well.
Like everyone said just have to make sure you get the right two together.
Good luck!

Back