Blue Point (dilute sable point?)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I have a 5 week old kit, name is Jasper, he is a Holland Lop. He is out of a: Siamese Sable and Sable point. Both parents have all shaded in background (torts, Rew, Siamese Sable etc), nothing else. When Jasper was born he was born all pink. His fur grew in white but on day 4 or 5 he developed some gray shading on the top of his tail. I assumed he was a pointed white! :D However, when his eyes opened up they where clearly not red and no ruby cast. His eyes are a typical dilute blue/gray, for sure not brown. Since then he has developed a very small, tiny amount of gray (?) color on his ears (mostly visible around the edging of both ears) and what looks like a hint (very small hint) of color above his nose and nothing else. His parents are both solid so not broken. The sire carries Rew as his hidden C gene and he throws VERY clean sable points i.e. super clean, zero smut and these clean sable points always have a ruby cast to the eyes which I was told probably from Rew gene, being carriers of it. My question is, clearly Jasper is not a pointed white.. no ruby red eyes although he looks just like one.. could he be a super clean blue point?? I have no idea if either parent carries chocolate however it's always a chance. I just can't think of anything else he is. I have had one blue point (see picture) born in my rabbitry and Jasper looks nothing like him.

Here is Jasper! Pics taken at 4 weeks old, he is 5 weeks old today however nothing color wise has changed about him.
20150414_194234.jpg

20150414_194155.jpg

20150414_194215.jpg

Here is my one blue point I had, he is 8 weeks old in this picture:
DSC02502.jpg

Other suggestion is a possible lilac sable point? He looks a lot like a frosted pearl lilac vs but that isn't genetically possible. :no:

*I should mention one of the kits in the litter was what I thought is a seal but it's eyes where dilute colored as well? IS it possible the dam, is NOT a true sable point?? Here is a picture of her:

Silvia%2B1.jpg

He looks like a very light sable point or a frosty but that would mean someone else is the father since a siamese sable cannot produce a frosty when crossed to a sablepoint doe

His sire is a Siamese sable so I guess he has to be a weird colored sable point or blue point. The other odd thing about him is after taking some close up pics of him, he has some yellowish fur around his nose? He also has zero fur underneath his tail, just color on top of it. I can post pics if you would like to see. I did email the breeder to see if she got any weird colored kits but she only bred the doe once to another tort and got black tort and solid blue back. Hmm mystery lol.

volz83":112w02z9 said:
His sire is a Siamese sable so I guess he has to be a weird colored sable point or blue point. The other odd thing about him is after taking some close up pics of him, he has some yellowish fur around his nose? He also has zero fur underneath his tail, just color on top of it. I can post pics if you would like to see. I did email the breeder to see if she got any weird colored kits but she only bred the doe once to another tort and got black tort and solid blue back. Hmm mystery lol.

Pictures are always helpful :)

The sable gene can cause some red to the eyes so sables, sable points, and seals will have a red tint in varying amounts. He does have shading and no ticking but it could be the sable gene with agouti instead of the chinchilla gene that is reducing some of the effects of agouti. I would have guessed him as an "otter point" and with the mention of getting very clean sable points that would make sense but a sable marten versus sable sire should be obvious.

Thanks everyone for your help so far! Here are some more detailed pictures of him. Again he has zero color underneath his tail, he has color on the top but not bottom.

Here is his sire:

7114082.jpg

Here are pictures of the kit. Starting with his tail.

Top of tail:

t.jpg

r.jpg

Bottom of tail:

y.jpg

Ears:

w.jpg

e.jpg

Head shot and forehead:

6.jpg

3.jpg

Body

10.jpg

q.jpg

Eye:

5.jpg

I am so sure on his parents colors so that has to rule out frosty. I'm thinking possible lilac point? Can blue points/sable points etc have shading on just the top of the tail and not the bottom?

The nose looks the same color as my blues. Lilac is a creamy tan in rabbits.

Lilac frosty

young blue frosty

This was my "otter point" and you can see why I find it similar

He eventually did get a lot of face and ear color but the rest remained pure white, the underside of his tail was whiter than the top, and you can see the white creeping up his feet.

It is quite a mystery :D

Well the buck looks like a Siamese sable and if your certain she wasn't with another male I guess the only option is blue or lilac point :shrug:

Thanks everyone, I agree, I'm 100% sure on parents.. just an oddly marked kit lol

Latest posts

Back