Blood on Resting Board

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredfeather

Reaction score
Last night I noticed a considerable amount of blood on one of my does resting board. I took her out and examined her everywhere and can't find a spec of blood anywhere on her.
Any ideas?

Sounds strange, but it could actually be urine... rabbits urinate in a veritable rainbow of colors, including blood red.

In fact, just the other day, we went out to take care of the bunnies, and noticed that a massacre had occurred outside the rabbitry. Then we discovered it was on the inside of the plastic, not the outside, as it appeared. It turned out that our buck, thankfully not known for spraying, had decided to do so overnight -- in blood red, across the plastic covering the front of the rabbitry some 4 or 5 feet away from him. :roll: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 pm __________ <br /><br /> Rabbits usually pee in colors ranging from beige to yellow to brown, but orange and red are rather common. Less common is green and purple. I think I've seen one mention of each. I haven't heard of blue urine from a rabbit, but at this point, it would not surprise me.

You didn't say what breed of rabbit you have, but this winter has been a horrible one for my English lops. I find blood on the sitting boards daily, normally from an ear tip.

If not a lop eared rabbit, then I agree, probably a toenail or pee, or possibly even a pulled tooth.

I agree with MissM and MSD but I would ask if it is thick like blood or thin like pee or dry. If it has a consistency like blood I would say toenail. If its thin and running I would say pee and if its dry I would say theres a 50% chance its pee or blood =D

Back